Side trips from Vernice and Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my sister to Italy in September and she has never been to Europe before. I am an experienced traveler and this will be my 4th trip to Italy. I have to confess my area of preference is Sorrento down to Amalfi. This trip however will be an introduction for my sister and so we are doing a 3-3-3 trip to Venice, Florence and Rome, taking the train between cities. I think we will need side trips for Venice and Florence and was wondering what you all would suggest? Pisa I guess is a do-able side trip from Florence, but what is suggested from Venice and more for Florence? Thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM

If your sister has never been - I don't think you'll need to worry about side trips - Each of your main cities will fill 3 full days without problem.
Don't want to over-stuff her first experience.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Hello luvsmacca, I would think you would want two full days in Florence. You could do a side trip to Pisa with a stop in Lucca on your way back to Florence. If you only want one day in Florence you could take the bus to Siena from Florence on another day.

Regarding Venice, with three days I would not want a side trip but since you are travelling by train between Florence and Venice, or Venice to Florence consider leaving in the morning and stopping at Bologna for some walking around and a good lunch and than you could continue on your way.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, luvs..how long are you staying in each place? That will determine how much time you want to devote to sidetrips.

The classics are siena,lucca and pisa from florence [but don't forget fiesole, just a quick bus-ride away] Verona and the brenta canal gardens and palaces from Venice, and from Rome, there are the villa d'este at tivoli, and ostia antica.

would you consider staying in the tuscan countryside as your 2nd stay, and having a day in florence - 3 cities in a row may seem like overkill to someone who's not been before - you don't want her to lose interest, and there's nothing worse than being unable to remember where you saw the canaletto you so liked, or if it was Raphael or leonardo who painted the sistine chapel!!!

good luck with your trip!

Ann
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:10 PM

I am looking for side trips also. One thing I hate is when you ask a specific question and a person gives you a totally different reply. We also have three days and we realize that you can spend the full three days exploring one city but that is not what we want to do. Hence, the question.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Whoaa......Posters are just giving their 2 cents worth. Although I happen to agree with them (sorry) about both cities-- they are not easily tackled in a few days and are filled with enough sights to impress the most jaded traveler. I can't argue that it's probably better not to rush around. But here is my answer if you are still looking to get out of "Dodge": It all depends on how long you want to sit on a train or bus. In Florence, you can easily do a 1/ 2 day trip into a Tuscan town, like Sienna or Pisa. For Venice, depending on where you are staying it is a bit more of a hassle to get to the train station. You have to contend with taking a vaparetto or two. I've been to Venice three times (staying 4-5 days at a time) and during those visits I've managed to take the train to other places, like Verona or Padua. Or, why not do a boat trip to one of the other islands of Venice-- Murano, Burano, and Torcello?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Can't say from Venice since I have not been yet. But, for Florence, Siena, Pisa or San Gimingnano are options. From Rome, Pompeii is doable (it's a long day, but doable).
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Were any of those comments addressed to me? Just curious.

Luvsmacca states that they will have 3-3-3- trip Venice, Florence and Rome. She asked for side trips for Venice and Florence.

I attempted to give my thoughts about possible side trips from Florence for either one or two days.

I did suggest that a "side trip" from or on the way to Venice could be Bologna. I assumed that luvsmacca knows about the boat rides to the other islands of Venice so I didn't mention them. I didn't suggest anything for Rome as she didn't ask about side trips from Rome.

A question luvsmacca. Do you have 3 days in each of these cities plus time to travel between each city or are you counting the 9 days (3 days for each city) to include the travel time by train to each city?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM

I hope Watson doesn't come and hit me over the head...
I also agree that 3 days in none of those cities is a lot to start looking for day trips but since the question was asked...
From Rome you could do Orvieto, approx. 1 hr in train
From Florence I would suggest Lucca/Pisa
From Venice Verona or Padova

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Really with only 3 days in Venice I wouldn't spend the money and time to take a side trip.

We spent 4-1/2 days in Venice on our first trip there as a couple and didn't have time for any of the smaller lagoon islands (e.g., Murano, Burano, Torcello, etc.) or even to see some of the major sights in the historic center like the Accademia and Guggenheim museums.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:21 PM

One of the biggest things people forget is that Venice influnced a large part of the mainland and the region of the Veneto offers multipule side trips or primary destinations.

A quick train ride to Vicenza or Verona is always great. A day in the mountains or as many suggest a short boat trip to one of the islands.

Florence is the same way Pisa, Lucca or the hills in the area offer plenty of side attactions to get away from the crowds.

send me an email at [email protected] and I will send you a the name of a private guide company that can provide you information on the area. Or email themyourself at [email protected]
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:16 AM
ira

Hi L,

>we are doing a 3-3-3 trip to Venice, Florence and Rome, taking the train between cities. I think we will need side trips for Venice and Florence...<

I don't.

Unless you absolutely must have a pic of yourself holding up the tower, I would skip Pisa this trip.

If you get really bored with Florence, Siena is about 1:30 hr by SITA bus.

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who answered. It is my sister who wants to take the side trips from Florence mainly. She doesn't think she wants to spend 3 days there since neither she nor I are musuem people and I have already spent time in the city. We are thinking Siena from Florence and if we do a side trip at all from Venice we are thinking Bologna or Padua. The 3 days in Rome I think will be spent in the city or perhaps a side to Ostia Antica if we feel the need to leave the city.

How difficult will it be to get to Bologna from Venice?

Thank you again
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM
ira

Hi L,

>How difficult will it be to get to Bologna from Venice?<

See www.trenitalia.com

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:04 PM

luvsmacca,

I am planning almost the same trip, but will have more time in Rome. I will be traveling with my 17 yr old daughter. I plan to take the train between cities and decided we'd get the most bang for the buck by doing a side trip enroute to the next city.

So...leave Venice for Verona, spend the day and go on to Florence. We'll be in Florence on a Monday and many of the sites are closed...so we'll possibly due a side to trip to Pisa and Lucca that day. Unless we decide to just hang out and rest before Rome. Stop in Assisi for the day between Florence and Rome.