Flights in Europe

Search

Flights in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flights in Europe

Looking for multicity flights in Europe. I saw a fare on Kayak site recently for flight between Dublin and Copenhagen, a non stop on Ryanair (airline I try to avoid) , but its the only nonstop I have found. and I would be traveling only one way ticket. I would travel R/T on Aer Lingus between New York JFK and Dublin and then book flights for onward journeys. The Ryanair fare is shown as Hacker Fare. Anyone know what Hacker means, if its a guaranteed ticket on this flight. I know Ryanair has restrictions on carry on but I would pay to check my luggage if this is reliable.

Any suggestions. Thank you to members for help.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I know Ryanair has restrictions on carry on but I would pay to check my luggage if this is reliable.>>

Sorry I can't help with what a "hacker fare" is, but Ryanair has smartened its act up recently and I wouldn't hesitate to travel with them especially if that were the only non-stop option.

Do make sure that you comply with their weight and size limits, whether you are just taking carry-on [difficult with Ryanair's limits for cabin baggage] or putting luggage in the hold, as their over-weight charges at the airport are punitive.

BTW if you have paid for your ticket, your seat should be guaranteed - airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet do not IME over book so if you've paid, you're flying.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 11:04 AM

I always buy directly through the airline.. I bet Hacker air is a ticket reseller and I do not like what I hear about those.

I have used Ryanair several times before.. and will again in a few months.. nothing wrong with most of those cheapo airlines.. I think most issues stem from folks NOT READING terms and conditions.. ie luggage and printing out boarding passes etc.
I have used Ryanair, Easyjet, Vueling, Tuifly, and a few others over the years and for short fligh its ( lets face it after that 12 hours transatlantic flight.. 2-4 hours on a plane in Europe is easy ) they are fine.. and so cheap. Here a 20 MINUTE flight from where I live to next international airport is usually well over 100-150 bucks.. yikes.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 11:09 AM

I don't know which day you are traveling. But there is one SAS direct flight a day and many others with one stop.

For example at www.flysas.com
May 10, SK538 $88.48, SASgo DUB-CPH, 12:05-15:15
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 11:12 AM

"Hacker" just means "cobbled together". It's effectively a set of one way flights with the lack of rights if anything goes wrong.

http://www.tnooz.com/article/kayak-p...-hacker-fares/
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 11:17 AM

It's a term Kayak uses, I think it just means you have different airlines for that segment, which you do. IN other words, if your first flight is delayed, you get no help from that airline or Ryanair if you miss their flight. But you probably know that.

<<Hacker Fares sell tickets to/from a destination via different airlines and are subject to the booking requirements and terms of each. Any changes made to one of your tickets will not necessarily afford rights to change the other ticket. Fares change frequently and are subject to availability. International travel may require proof of return flight.>>
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 11:37 AM

Ryanair has no service and no humanity.
Apart from that it is a good company.
Good aircrafts, well maintained and mostly on time.
What more do we ask ?
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 11:47 AM

SAS fly between Dublin and Copenhagen

https://www.flysas.com/
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 11:55 AM

Try www.whichairline.com as they may have more airline ideas.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 12:20 PM

Ryanair has no service and no humanity.>>

I don't agree about the no service - they have been open to criticism recently and relaxed their "only one bag" rule for carry-on which has been very helpful. but otherwise they are very much "what you see is what you get".
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 12:48 PM

>>IN other words, if your first flight is delayed, you get no help from that airline<<
My understanding is that hacker fares are not connecting flights, they are one way fares eg out one airline and back another. Each leg will be booked separately on the individual airline website or online booking site. It is what travel agents have been doing for years (except of course they don't use airline websites to make bookings, they use their own booking systems). You would not, or should not cobble together connecting flights.

>>I always buy directly through the airline.<< That's very admirable, unfortunately booking direct on an airline website is not always cheapest. Of course if money saving is not important, or if there is no saving, then book direct.

I have used Ryanair several times. I have not noticed any cleaning up of their act, it is still a pretty shabby experience but sometimes they fly to places where others do not and that's mostly why I use them on occasion.

I have been delayed few times with Ryanair due to weather, they provided drink/meal vouchers and one time even flew in an aircraft and crew (original plane & crew were out of hours by the time the weather improved sufficiently to allow the flight to go so they had to find a spare plane and crew). So no complaints there.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 01:18 PM

For those who do NOT want to book direct, I suggest reading first some threads of TripAdivor's Air TRavel forum about third party booking.
Just saying.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 01:23 PM

So far as I'm aware, there's no advantage in booking Easyjet or Ryanair flights through 3rd parties, but someone here may know different. Certainly I've never done it.

there is a disadvantage in using such flights that has already been identified i.e. that they are not "connecting" flights. However, if you're prepared to pay extra, you can often have the option of getting on a later flight if you miss the first one [if there's room of course].
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I feel more comfortable now booking the multiflight ticket if Kayak gives best price. I arrive Dublin several days ahead so should not have problem with delays. I looked at FlySAS and saw their prices, cheapest is for carry on up to 8kg, and fares increase according to wt. of checked baggage.

I traveled Easy Jet many times and Ryanair a few times and most times everything went smoothly. Last time at boarding gate Ryan insisted on pushing my handbag into carryon which was below the allowed 10k limit, on top of sunglasses, camera and fragile items. I paid for my checked bag and was aware that my carryon was several kg under limit. At that time I decided to wave goodbye to Ryanair but if I can get the multiflight at good price and since its nonstop to Copenhagen will forgive and forget. I have to look for other flights from Stockholm to Biarritz, Toulouse or Bordeaux and then back to Dublin. I have time to look at those flights when I have my itinerary complete. With appreciation to all.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 03:36 AM

if you are contemplating flying from Bordeaux to anywhere with Easyjet or Ryanair, I'd try to find an alternative [eg Toulouse]; instead departing via the lovely new building which all other airlines appear to use, Easyjet and Ryanair passengers get a crowded Nissan Hut with no loos, no A/C and very poor organisation, including [in our case] a long wait at the gate to board the aircraft in an area with no seats and no ventilation.

At Toulouse we had no such problems and it was fine.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Just a follow up, decided on A/F flight from Paris to Copenhagen. Was able to pack in overnight in Paris and reasonable airfare on their afternoon flight where I will meet up with the tour group after arriving in Copenhagen to begin tour. As mentioned earlier would only travel Ryan if there was nothing else available. Taking SAS morning flight back to Dublin from Stockholm where I will overnight before return to NY. Thanks to all.
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 12:59 AM

thanks for coming back to us, Cavangal, and have a great trip!
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 03:31 AM

Nothing wrong with Ryanair for short flights. I prefer to spend my money on other things than airfare.
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 01:07 PM

I agree myriam, just flew Ryanair , and Easyjet , not for first times either , they were no worse than our flights on Vueling , or Aer Lingus this trip.