flights between london and edinburgh

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 09:19 AM
ava
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flights between london and edinburgh

After checking the prices on train tickets from London to Edinburgh for a trip I am taking this summer, the prices were way too high ($165 each way). So I thought maybe flying would be cheaper but am not at all sure how to find flights for that route. A train pass is not an option for me, as this is just a small side trip before my main trip to France for two weeks. Also what about cheap flights between London and Paris? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 11:26 AM

Go to www.gner.co.uk and sign up. You'll find that there are off-peak fares that you can purchase 7 days in advance. King's Cross to Edinburgh can be purchased for as low as £24 each way or £25 roundtrip. Not all trains are available, but you'll find exactly what fares are avialable for the times you want.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 11:33 AM

rkkwan is right that you can get much cheaper deals on trains.

If you want to fly, then the most convenient route is Heathrow to Edinburgh with either BA or BMI. Check both airlines' websites for details and costs. You'll see that flights costs rise considerably if you fly in "rush hour", ie early morning or early evening Monday to friday, so avoid these times if you can. Aside from that, you can find some very reasoable deals, although remember that you will need to include the cost of getting to Heathrow (fastest route is the Heathrow Express train to Paddington, but that costs roughly £22 return. The tube is much cheaper, but considerably slower).
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 11:48 AM
dcespedes

I would check out ryanair.com or easyjet.com--have found great deals there. Good luck!

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 11:59 AM

I booked our flight (last week of July) on travelocity, go under "my stuff" and farewatcher and entered in London to Edinburgh. Our flights were $100, RT, on a Sunday to Friday, and were pretty much wide open (this includes a meal and all taxes...the taxes were almost as much as the tickets, but felt that was a good price, even after checking Ryan Air and other places because the luggage limits weren't as tight and we're traveling to a wedding and will be dragging along more formal wear) Hope this helps and you have good luck!
Here is the link...there are fares from $50.00 rt up.
http://dps1.travelocity.com/aircfrsh...122004&LANG=EN