London to Edinburgh

Oct 8th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Rose

London to Edinburgh

I know You can take the train from Kings Crossing to Edinburgh -but I understand you can fly for a low fare. Where do you have to fly from and how do you get there from London? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Oct 8th, 2002, 02:31 PM
bill

Go to the easyjet website. They have quite a few flights and it is quite inexpensive.

Bill

Oct 8th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Alec

Also full-service airlines BA and British Midland also compete on fares with budget carriers, esp off-peak. Currently both are offering r/t from around £50 including taxes, without odious conditions like Saturday night stay. They both fly from Heathrow. www.ba.com and www.flybmi.com

Oct 9th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Nigel Doran

Trains are door to door, more or less. You don't have to trek to an airport, and with easyJet and go you have to usually travel to Luton or Stansted. That adds to the cost and the time, which is 4.5 or 5 hours for the train.

Go to www.thetrainline.com or www.gner.co.uk for tickets. By the way, it is Kings Cross. The station in E'burgh is Waverley. Go first class for about $100 return, all in, provided you go straight there and straight back with no stops and stick to allotted times. (www.gner.co.uk) Standard fare is about $65 there and back, same rules, but you have to book ahead. Standard is fine, but 1st is worth it if you can get a good deal.

Dec 14th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Rose

Thank you all for your information. I would like to know the important sights to see in Edinburgh for the day trip from London..I have been to Holyrood (sp) but my friend has not-all info will be appreicated. Thanks.

Dec 14th, 2002, 08:04 PM
buzz offen

Edinburgh Castle is a must see. Kind of hard to miss the way it hangs over the city!
Also check out the Museums, cool pictish stones, nice paintings and a good library also.
Be careful of the discount planes. Sometimes they are not that dependable. Folks do get stranded.

Dec 15th, 2002, 10:25 AM
ami

Certainly if you consider Edinburgh for a day-trip, you will not consider getting there by train...

We used EasyJet, and were very glad we did. It's like a shuttle bus, planes come and go on an hourly basis. The sooner you make a reservation (on line, EasyJet.com) the better rate you'll get, and every flight has a different rate (rush hour is more expensive, naturally).

BUT they fly out of Luton, which is like an hour drive from the center of London. Check about one of those "privat taxi" companies which are dependeble and not expensive. They will also wait for you at the terminal when flying back.
When in Edinburgh, I would take one of those tour buses, and get off at the Castle, which is definitely the best attraction this city can offer.

Dec 15th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Carolina

It's easy enough to take the train from London to Luton Airport and fly with easyjet. Much better value than the train, even taking into account added expenses of taxis which may be necessary.

Dec 16th, 2002, 10:50 PM
Russell Farquer

London to Luton Airport
Thameslink from Kings Cross to Luton.

See:
www.london-luton.co.uk click on airport guide---click on Get Here-By Rail (see the rail map)

www.thetube.com click on maps---
Tubes,trains,& trams--click download PDF
(see tube and rail map Kings Cross)