Flemings Mayfair

Jun 20th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Flemings Mayfair

Does anyone have any recent info on the Flemings Mayfair ? Web site looks lovely -
and local seem terrific. It says the rooms
are recently renovated. Anyone stayed
lately ?
Jun 20th, 2004, 02:51 PM

How much can you get it for? Nice position certainly, but if it's around 180GBP per night, for a little more stay at Claridge's, which in my opinion is the finest historic hotel in London. I prefer it to the far stuffier Ritz. The Lanesborough is the best of the new hotel generation.
Jun 20th, 2004, 03:02 PM

You can often do better than 180GBP. Its good value in an excellent location.
Jun 20th, 2004, 03:08 PM

we have stayed at the flemings four times.the last time was two years ago and i do not even remember the rooms needing renovation! the location is superb- across from the park, etc. one block from the tube and on a nice evening you can even walk to the theaters. (i know we had a bomb scare once and had to!)sheperd's market and restaurants are around the corner, too. we had a corporate rate and i believe it was around 180, but USD$. the street rooms are quite a bit larger, but we moved from one because half moon (the street it is located on), although quite narrow, is a cab throughfare and there is street noise. i would do my homework on prices though.
Jun 20th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Ive been in that area and have seen the hotel from outside, cant really say how good it is on the inside. However, I have stayed at the Hilton green park, located right in front of the Flemings Mayfair. If you are looking for a deal and still enjoy a great location, you might want to check out the Hilton green park, 4 stars hotel and you can get a room for 120 GBP (vat not included) or take the 180GBP rate (vat tax and breakfast included).

If you are looking for something fancier the Claridges it?s a great option, the room should is around 205-220 GBP (vat tax and services not included)according to their webpage, but its on the same area that the other 2 hotels.
Jun 20th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Although the locale is great, neither the Hilton Green Park or Flemings are anything to write home about. We have stayed at the Green Park for about 3 weeks in total and had sandwiches, etc. once at Flemings' bar [they weren't good].
Jun 20th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Daph - give us some of your suggestions in the same price range ?
Jun 20th, 2004, 04:30 PM

I like to be near St. James's Park, which is a posh area so I've found it difficult to find a nice, mid-range hotel. If we won the lottery we'd stay at the Goring. As it is, we sometimes have wine and starters in their bar or a tea in their lovely lobby and call it our dinner! We like the Rubens and there is a promising hotel that recently became the Sofitel St. James at 6 Waterloo Place. For a B and B type place we love The Lime Tree Hotel on Ebury Street but you must walk all the way from Victoria Station to get to S.J. Park.
Jun 20th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Value for money is the real issue as you point out - my preference is The Athenaeum on Piccadily in a Park View Room at about 200 - 230 GBP however my understanding is the Fleming represents good value for money based on standards of fiout and location. I know many business people who go there and keep on returning.
Jun 21st, 2004, 03:28 AM

I'm absolutely staggered that you'd pay in the 200+GBP range for the Athenaeum - this is a business hotel, a very bland five star property. For this money you could stay at the far more characterful, and reknowned Claridge's. I can't help but feel you've been wasting your money at this property.
Jun 21st, 2004, 03:57 AM

Been there done that ! - I know the guest areas are not up to the standards of the other larger establishments but I suggest you seriously take a look at the rooms at the Athenaeum. They are among the best and well thought out that I have experienced anywhere. A number of years back I believe it is fair to say that the rooms varied greatly in quality. In recent times my visits confirm that the clientele has changed - it is not a business hotel like Flemings anymore. You get to test that out when they serve champagne and canapes gratis to guests in the reception area in the evening. I also think that Bullochs Restaurant is very much understated and would recommend the fixed price pre-theatre menu which I have found to be outstanding quality and value.
Jun 21st, 2004, 04:21 AM

The Athenaeum is not an hotel Londonders ever go to, I've been there once for a five minute look, that's it. Clarige's room are far more stylish.
Jun 21st, 2004, 07:07 PM

I have stayed in rooms in both places.