Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving in a week: Traveling in the Italian and French Riviera

Jun 21st, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

My girlfriend and I are staying in San Remo, but would like to take some day trips to Monaco and then the French Riviera. We are wondering, what the best way to get around would be. Should we rent a car? Should we take trains? We are two girls, so I'm wondering what the safest way to travel might be. Thank you!
Jun 21st, 2004, 12:44 PM

Trains are very safe and will save you the headache of finding parking during the busy summer season. Have fun!
Jun 21st, 2004, 06:03 PM

Not familiar with the area between San Remo and Monaco to know about the condition of the road, but the train tunnel east of Monaco is not open so if you take a train you have to get out and take a bus for a bit. Once you're at Monaco going west on the train is easy as long as you want to visit the towns along the shore.

Not sure what you mean by "safest."
Jun 21st, 2004, 06:42 PM

mclaurie,

We just planned a trip going in the opposite direction this summer ( Nice-Italian Riveria) and were assured by a travel agent that the tunnel is now open. I wondered where you had heard that it isn't? Thanks!
Jun 21st, 2004, 07:02 PM

Last summer the tunnel was under repair on the French site.
When we reached Ventimiglia, we had to dismount and take a very nice bus to Nice, free of charge of course, courtesy of the railroad.

The tunnel was supposed to be repaired by fall..
Jun 21st, 2004, 07:34 PM

Trains are good to get from town to town. BUT you have to change in ventimigliea to go to france. This is great for Nice,Monaco and Cannes

Roads are very good(better than most US roads) in the area and quite fun to drive on, I am very glad we did. I actually think renting a car is easier in for getting to some places. especially the smaller towns. and High Hill tops

Word of advice - If you rent a car in italy you will pay almost twice as much as france. zero deducable insurance is mandatory. (but you might be better off)

When we stayed in Nice I actually went to san remo to rent a car(we were dropping off in italy later and I did not want to pay a drop off fee) San Remo is very nice but they recently moved the location of the train station?? very confusing ,all the maps were wrong and we got lost walking around the town (which was actually nice)