Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First visit to Barcelona: What area to stay in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:44 PM
MaureenB

Two adults visiting Barcelona next week-- need ideas for hotel. What areas are best? We'd like to be near the sights, moderately-expensive hotel, boutique-type. And with three full days, what are the best sights to see?

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi MaureenB,

It's hard to give specific answers as your question is pretty wide ranging & we don't know enough about your interests (shopping? history? eating?) or your budget - what is "moderately-expensive" to you might be high budget to someone else.

I'm happy to give some general advice, however.

Your first port of call should be the following website;

www.maribelsguides.com

Maribel is a former regular here & her knowledge of Spain in general & Barcelona in particular is unbeatable!

There is also a LOT of information right here on Fodors about Barcelona. Try doing a search (above) on "Barcelona Hotel" & you will find plenty of recommendations. As for areas to stay in there are regular debates here about the merits of staying in the older Gothic Quarter as against the more upscale Eixample area. My preference would be the latter but there are plenty of people here who would disagree! There does seem to be general agreement, however, that it is best not to stay too near the port area.

I would advise taking the hop on-hop off bus tour as early in your trip as possible you can & this will give you an idea of the sights you would like to spend more time at.

Do some more research & then post back here for further advice once you have narrowed down the hotels/sights etc which you think interest you.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 08:00 AM
MaureenB

Jim, thank you for your suggestions. I posted the question for my friends, who are running out of time to plan as they leave in three days. Since moderately expensive means different things in different markets, we didn't quantify it. I'd guess in the $250 USD per night range. I think they are most interested in a place that will have local character and be in walking distance to see the sights, the architecture, the sea, and eat in authentic restaurants. Probably not indoor shopping. We'll try Maribell's site and heed the advice to avoid the port for lodging. Anyone else have specific ideas for hotels?

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 09:18 AM

MaureenB,
You, or your friends, might want to download a free copy of Maribel’s Guide to Barcelona (http://maribelsguides.com). She offers a lot of insight into what to do and see while in Barcelona, as well as information on some of the hotels she likes.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM

We were in Barcelona in November and stayed at the Best Western Regina, about 1/2 block off the Placa Catalunya, which is far enough away to miss the noise but easy walking distance to the Ramblas, Barri Gotic, Passeig de Gracia (don't trust any of these spellings), etc. It's not a boutique hotel, but it's a nice place. We paid $170 for a rather small room with a large, marbel bath room. Larger rooms are a little more. Buffet breakfast was included and is very good.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Maribel's files were a huge help in my planning. I pop in here only once in awhile and have not seen her?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Maribel's mother passed away last year and I don't think she's been able to find her way back yet. We all feel very badly for her and we miss her here as well.

We stayed at the H10 Placa Catalunya last spring.

Directly on the sq and was not noisy. The breakfast room looked out over the sq.

Would definitely stay there again.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Maribel's guide is very helpful! We went to Barecelona last summer for a week and stayed at the Rivoli Ramblas hotel right on La Rambla. Great location..right in the middle of everything but not noisy or crowded. hotel is reasonably priced and we walked everywhere! You can even use the rooftop pool and it's sister hotel across the street! Have fun in Barcelona!