Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona hotel near Ramblas but not noisy!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:36 AM
canuck

I have a hard time sleeping in the best of times so noise is an issue. We are however looking for a clean budget hotel that is in walking distance of Ramblas..Hotel Continental sounds great..I'm just afraid it's going to be too noisy. Don't mind walking a kilometre or so to Ramblas..any suggestions?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:44 AM
dave

We stayed at the Gran Via on the street of the same name. It is at the "top" of Ramblas past the square. Easy walk to Ramblas, but enough removed to be more quiet. As in any city in the world, if you have a hard time sleeping, ask for a room in the back away from the street.

Pleasant Dreams.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 08:38 AM
will

Last year I was planning a trip which included a stop in Barcelona. My trip fell throught, but several people recommended the Hotel Jari as a "budget" hotel. I've since heard mixed reviews. There are some both good & bad reviews in the fodor's rants & raves on this place.

You might also visit madridman.com. He has a board where you might pose the same question (or do a search on prior posts). Although it's called madridman, there is lots of info applicable to other spanish cities & sites.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 08:39 AM
will

Sorry - I should've proofread. My trip fell THROUGH. It did not fall THROUGHT!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:03 AM
xxx

Take ear plugs!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:17 AM
paul

as a part canuck(grandfather) from the northwoods, I also appreciate silence and would cast my vote with the Gran Via. a back room on the 100 series rooms (really the third floor) would be very quiet). They have an excellent breakfast buffet and the beds were very comfortable. Absoolutely no street noise. Bathroom was modern. Ask for room 113 and book early.
You are a ten minute walk from the ramblas but even more important you are five minutes from Plaza Catalunya which is a transportation hub including the airport bus.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:19 AM
hollywoodgal

Another vote for Gran Via-public rooms have lots of atmosphere..modern hotel rooms, great location and reasonably priced. Ask for a room in the back--zero noise.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 01:48 PM
CathyM

I stayed recently at the Hotel Turin which is on a side street just off the Ramblas and only a block south of Hotel Continental.

The only noise issue was some construction they were doing on a building across the street (but only during the day).

The hotel wasn't anything special, but it was clean and reasonably priced (abt $105 euro for a double).

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Sharon

I, too, have a hard time sleeping and stayed at Hotel Continental in September. Everyone said ask for a room with a balcony and I didn't, so wound up with a room in the back and never heard anything at night. I would stay at the hotel again. Very convenient to tourist buses, etc.