Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hOTEL OMM & Moo Restaurant in Barcelona-latest & greatest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to know if anyone has stayed at, or visited the new Hotel Omm in Barcelona yet? I have been reading about their new restaurant Moo, which is supposed to be the latest hot spot and amazing food. Would love feedback.
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:35 PM

Hi,
I haven't stayed at the hotel, but in late January I had dinner at moo, which was absolutely fabulous. I am going back to Barcelona in two weeks, and I'll definitely go to moo again... the food was outstanding, as was the decor. The perfect spot both for a gourmet treat or a drink.
There has been some pretty bad reviews at tripadvisor, but I've also read really good reviews of the hotel as well. We thought of staying there when we are going in a few weeks time, but decided to stay at Neri instead, which is another member of Design Hotel (as well as Omm, if you don't know the Design Hotels check out www.designhotels.com)
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks CPHTraveller, that is great feedback.
I will also check out that website.
I hope to return to Barcelona again soon for another visit and want a different hotel experience next time. I stayed at the Majestic last time, and loved the location my room etc, but am exploring a different dynamic for my next visit to Barcelona. I do like staying in the Eixample area, and noticed that Hotel Omm is located in that neighborhood.

That is great that you will be returning to Barcelona again in 2 weeks. Please post any new updated restaurant information.
TrendGirl
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:55 AM

CPH, if you have any free time and nothing better to do, could I ask you to pop into The Ritz and let me know what you think of it please?

Many thanks.
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

M_Kindom2- I saw The Ritz and walked into the lobby when I was in Barcelona. I liked the location, stores, & neighborhood of the Majestic where I was staying a little better. The Ritz was beautiful, and a little "more formal" then the Majestic, but very elegant, and a fine upscale hotel.
Will you be including Moo in your dinner plans?
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:16 AM

I haven't thought about restaurants yet, I usually discover some i like on my travels and/or ask the concierge for recommendations.

I might look into Hotel OMM and if I like the menu, dine at MOO, but the reviews of Tripadvisor sadly seem rather disappointing, hopefully it's just teething troubles!

I was booked into the Claris, but after reading reviews on Tripadvisor, it would seem that the standard rooms are nothing special at all, so for a little more money I booked The Ritz. The only restaurant I've planned to definitely try is Diana which has now been refurbished.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:49 AM

m_kingdom2 - of course, if I happen to pass by I will definitely check it out for you...
we looked at ritz and claris too but thought the neri looked amazing... and since this is our honeymoon this hotel looked just perfect. we both love new design/interior/architecture and had in fact set our minds on omm but were put off by the bad reviews on tripadvisor... next time we will try that one, but on honeymoons you don't want to take any chances...!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:55 AM

Hi,
just returned from 3 fabulous days at Neri... i didn't have the time to check out Ritz, sorry. But the Neri was absolutely wonderful, that'll be my future Barcelona hotel - simply the best hotel experience I have ever had. the staff, the spacious room, the bathroom and a relaxed atmosphere all made our stay something very special.
I can highly recommend both hotel AND restaurant (be sure to book as table). We also had dinner at ABAC, which was wonderful, too.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:52 AM

We visited Hotel Arts in December 2002 while walking along the beach from the city center. 5star like entrance and lobby. We took an elevator to a higher floor and glimpsed a few rooms being cleaned with the door open. They were nice but not very large and did not look particularly 5-star hotel's room. Maybe they were just a standard or single room I saw. Anyway this is a just an impression I got from a quick glimps. We also entered a lounge on one of the top floors. There, a gentlman came and informed us nicely the lounge was reserved only for the hotel guests (or even only for the geusts with some status like 1st-business class lounges at airports). Still he was kind enough to tell us a bit about the hotel such as when it had opened, it was not for the public but mostly accomodated the Barcelona Olympic officials and athelets (such as American basket ball Dream Team). I asked him if Mr Samaranch stayed here too then. He replied "No, he didn?t need to because he has a nice house in Barcelona". I remembered He was from barcelona.

Nice hotel and I?m sure many people will be pleased staying at this hotel but personally I will not myself (at least not as a paying guest). The place is just too far for me from the city center. I?m always happy staying in Eixample area. It?s just so convenient.

By the way, I usually pay 3-4star hotels. Last December, I had a room at AC Diplomatic. That was a good hotel but I?m a bit surpirsed to see Tripadvisor.com rank it as No.2 most popular hotel in Barcelona. Really that good?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Thank you both for you opinions, however, even though I've not yet stayed at Hotel Arts, the rooms are 485 square feet, which by any standards cannot be called small.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Trendgirl,
We stayed at the Omm the end of April, and loved it. It's super modern, high-tech, and sleek-- every detail was Stylish with a capital S, and the location was superb- just off the Passeig de Gracia, with a metro stop just a few steps away. I would definitely stay there again.

The room had a state-of-the-art sound system, great linens, and and TONS of built-in storage. The lights and window shades could be operated from a control panel next to the bed.

The bathroom was very large, with a big soaking tub, huge fluffy towels, and some of the best toiletries I've used at a hotel. I loved the green olive lotion! I also loved the amount of counterspace and large drawers in the bathroom.

There is a very attractive, but small, rooftop pool and deck, and there is going to be a full-service spa sometime later this year- I wish it had been open when we were there!

The staff were very nice, young, and helpful.

We didn't eat at the restaurant there, but it looked beautiful. We did like the bar a lot, and it seemed to be a popular hang-out for the well-dressed local crowd.

All-in-all, I thought it was a terrific hotel, and I was glad to stay in it now while the prices are still relatively low-- I have a feeling the prices will go up a lot once the initial "bugs" are worked out.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:56 AM

M-Kingdom, I stayed at the Hotel Arts last year. I found it to be a very good hotel. The rooms are large and spacious - especially the bathrooms. They have huge showers with little benches in them, and water nozzles all over the place!!

Service was excellent, the staff were so friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to help us many times, and had lots of good recommendations on things to do and where to eat, etc.

We were there in October so it was quite quiet. The pool area is lovely.

I cannot comment on the food as I never ate there. Not even breakfast, as I was out partying until the early hours!!

Hope this helps a little.

Angela
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Many thanks, I've already booked it, and unfortunately, or maybe fortunately I lose a night's price if I cancel.

I'm still curious as to how someone can call their rooms small, when they're the largest standard rooms in the city!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Marcy,
Thanks for your feedback on The Hotel Omm, it was exactly the type of information that I was interested in knowing. I hope to return to Barcelona very soon, for another visit, especially if I am able to get a good airfare, and wanted to try a different hotel then where I was last time, for a different type of dynamic. I love the area around Passeig de Gracia as a base, so I am familiar with the neighborhood.
Thanks again for the info.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:43 PM

I have heard mixed reports on Omm and found their website a little user-unfriendly so I have decided on the Majestic for my stay.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:48 PM

However, I'd take SydneySteve's recommendations with a good pinch of salt - he prefers an insignificant London hotel to Claridge's which is, in my (and many others) opinion one of the finest hotels in London.

Of course he is entitled to his opinion just as much as I am. Omm isn't competeing with the Majestic - one is cutting edge, one is ageing.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:55 PM

It is always good to hear from the "many others" and that is of course why we come to this place. I did have some problems with the OMM website a few nights ago and had read on another thread that there were currently teething problems at the Omm. I am suprised though that the nuove Omm would appeal to someone who likes Claridges. I picked the Majestic because we are there for a short time and I liked the location, the restaurant and the traditional nature of it - rather like Claridges possibly is to London.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:00 AM

I'm not staying at either, and I've already made/cancelled reservations at three hotels - Claris, The Ritz, Hotel Arts. The Majestic just looks faded and not top notch, OMM is fresh and funky - I don't like the look of either, but OMM is definitely the winner.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:30 AM

OK I will take a harder look at Omm. Certainly a number of the well known up to date travel magazines have said positive things and there is something Gaudi-ish about it for me! Presumably best rates are through the hotel web site ( which I found wasnt working well for me a few days back when I took a look ).
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

SydneySteve- I have stayed at the Majestic, and was certainly very happy with the accomodations, service, room and bathroom size. It is a fine, Spanish owned hotel. No....it is not cutting edge, or a 5 star, but I believe it is a 4 star, and the location was ideal, especially for a first time Barcelona stay. When I stayed there it was more "old world Europeon" but not at all "faded."
The Omm is a totally different type of Hotel- a designer new venue, that is more trendy then traditional. The guests at The Majestic when I stayed there were mixed like all hotels, but a very elegant European group, some business men, and in the evening a very chic bar crowd. I like the location of The Omm, and think it would be fun to try this Design Hotel, especially if you like trendy, fun "hot spots" that don't get too young of a crowd. I want to be in Barcelona now!!!!