Hostal Poblenou Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's by Carrer del Taulat and Rambla del Poblenou?
How is the area?
Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

I meant to ask if anybody has stayed there...
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:09 AM

I haven't stayed here, but I know the area well and would be happy to answer any questions you have. Are you familiar with Poblenou?? Poblenou will be less expensive than staying in barcelona's city centre, but it will be less central. The area isn't touristy at all, so you'll need to walk and take the metro to get into the centre of barcelona. It IS near the beaches and Rambla Poblenou has plenty of coffee shops -- but for everything else you'll be taking the metro...if you have any specific questions, feel free to add them.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

I guess what I am trying to ask, how is the area (other than close to the sea, and further away from the sights?
Would you think it is a good place to consider on the first trip to Barcelona (without the knowledge of Spanish or Catalan)?
I am looking at Regencia Colon near the Cathedral, Hostal Goya in Eixample, and Hostal Poblenou - it seems very well maintained, and the price is reasonable...
Hostal Goya being the most expensive of the three, and Regencia Colon being in-between.
Please, advise. What is in the area, how about safety, and so on.
Thank you.
Agnes
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
These hostals had good reviews in the past. Girona doesn't have AC.
www.hostalpalacios.com
www.hostalgirona.com
www.hostalopera.com
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

mcm3f,
Are you there?
See my previous post.
THANK YOU,
Agnes
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Agnes1228-- sorry for the belated reply. I'll be happy to describe the neighborhood a little more for you if you can wait a few days. I've had to travel out of town...if you are in a rush, I might suggest that if you are going to BCN for tourism then the cathedral or more central bcn location might be better. if you are hoping to live a little more closely with the locals, then poblenou could be a good fit. For now, I hope this helps. I can offer more details when I return!
Old May 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
I am not in a rush, and since I am going in July, I still have some time to decide.
I will be looking forward to hearing from you. The only thing that worries me about Hostal Poblenou is that I have found NO reviews whatsoever.
Anyway,
Thank you for your time,
Agnes
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 04:35 AM

Hi Agnes, I've asked around and haven't found anyone who has stayed in Hostal Poblenou either. Not surprising, given that I'm asking locals, but I wondered if they might have had guests stay there...but no luck.

With respect to the neighborhoods -- the Cathedral area will be the most touristy. It will also be the most bustling of the three areas. If you are looking for touristy things right outside your hotel, then this might be a good option. Also, Hostal Goya will be similar in location. While it isn't located in the gothic quarter, it is in the city center and there will be restaurants/cafes/sights very close to your door.

Poblenou is a different neighborhood (about 5 or 6 metro stops away). There's nothing touristy in Poblenou except the beach, so if you are planning a sightseeing trip to barcelona, you would be taking the metro back and forth every day.

While poblenou is a great area, I think that if I were traveling, I might want to be a little closer to the city center so that it would be easier to stop by the hotel throughout the day.

Does this help?? Feel free to ask me anything. I'm back and will be happy to answer any questions...
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 04:53 AM

For what it's worth, I did a home exchange with a flat on Rambla del Poblenou, at the next junction from c. del Taulat, for the New Year. It's an ordinary residential area with some small workshops, gradually moving upmarket, not at all touristy, but I found it all the better for that.

But not only is it a bit out of the centre, I would guess that you would struggle quite a lot with no Spanish or Catalan. I have no knowledge of the Hostal, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of an English-speaking reception staff. There are cafés and restaurants on the Rambla (which is pleasantly pedestrianised at this point), but very much neighbourhood-oriented.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 05:13 AM

I can also add that all of the areas are safe. Barcelona is, in general, a safe city. Carrer Taulet will be less populated than the other areas, but doesn't translate to being less safe (maybe less noisy, not sure). And, pickpockets will be lurking around the cathedral and city centre more than around poblenou, but everywhere you go you will have to be careful about this.

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Everybody, thanks so much.
Sorry for the late response, but I have been fighting a bad case of bronchitis, and trying to do all the grading before the semester is over.
Now I am done, and back to planning our vacation
I think we will stay at Hostal Goya for 2 nights, then go to Seville for 1 night as planned, and then stay for 3 nights at Gallery Hotel in Eixample (on Rosello 240, between Rambla de Catalunya and P. de Gracia.) I was tempted to stay close to the beach in Poble Nou, but since sightseeing is our priority, I do not want to spend too much time on the subway...I know Rosello is close to M: Diagonal, so it is a walk to the old town, but I do not mind walking (within reason - this time I will NOT overdo it)
Thanks again.
I just posted an itinerary question, and if you can advise, please, please, help as well.
Thank you again,
Agnes