Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What area is best tostay in Barcelona: Eixample or Barri Gotic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

From the standpoint of safety as well as convenience could you comment about which area is a better choice? I'm considering either the Hotel Colon or Condes de Barcelona.

Thank you for any comments.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Someone tried to snatch my purse in the Barri Gotic, and only let go when I screamed, and the narrow alleyways don't inspire confidence. That said, someone succeeded in picking my husband's pocket in a Barcelona subway station, so I think vigilance is warranted everywhere there. Because of my bad experience, I would give the Condes de Barcelona the edge.

You don't say what you want to be convenient to, so that's harder to answer.

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

hi nessundorma,

Thanks for your comments. You're right, I wasn't too specific. I will only be one night in Barcelona. I have been in Barcelona previously and stayed at the Hotel Colon but back then the problems with street crime didn't seem to be so prevalent. On this trip I want to focus on the Gaudi buildings and visit the Picasso museum.
I don't care about the Ramblas, been there done that.
I guess for me the most important consideration is that at night I can go to some nearby restaurant without safety concerns since I'll be traveling by myself. I agree that regardless where I stay vigilance is warranted at all times

What hotel did you stay at?

Thanks
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:56 AM

For what it may be worth to you I have stayed at ther Colon as well as hotels in the Eixample, near the Placa Catalunya, on the Gran Via, etc.

I don;t think there is any more "crime" in the Barri Gotic than elsewhere and those narrow streets don't bother me in the least.

Pickpocketing can happen anywhere in Barcelona, particularly on the Metro.

I would say for convenience, especially to public transport you might be better off out of the Barri Gotic, especially since you feel you've already "done" some part of it. Unfortunately, the gothic cathedral is covered with scaffolding so the wonderful views of it from the Colon are somewhat diminished these days.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 08:16 AM

cruiseluv,

I stayed at Hotel Colon, but the attempted robbery took place several blocks from there.

As I said before, my husband had his pocket picked in a subway station, so like Intrepid, I wouldn't feel my money or bag was of no interest to thieves anywhere in Barcelona. But were traveling alone, I'd rather not walk through much of the Barri Gotic, almost at any time of day.

Given your itinerary, it would appear Hotel Colon is less convenient, too. One of the main reasons I wouldn't return to Hotel Colon is because of a lot of street musicians who play in the plaza right in front of it, and also because I think if I returned to Barcelona, I'd rather stay in a hotel with some modernist style, although I do think the public areas of the Colon are really very nice.

When I was there the cathedral also had quite a bit of scaffolding, but the facade with still impressive. Perhaps the scaffolding now covers that as well?

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I better add that my reluctance to walk alone in Barri Gotic is due to my bad experiences there, and other women have no doubt had nice experiences and felt safe there.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments!

Any other opinions out there?
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 01:34 PM

I was just in Barcelona in February and stayed in the Exiample area. There was definitely more happening in the Gothic Quarter at night; lots of people at all hours. I wouldn't walk down any narrow alleys alone, but the main areas were filled with people. For this trip I was traveling with a friend. I travel alone a lot and prefer to stay where there are a lot of people around me at night. I feel safer. Having said that, I felt very safe in the Exiample area late at night but I was not alone. I think I would have felt vulnerable on those same streets had I been alone so late.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Colon is right on the ramblas, which are high traffic and though there are a lot of pickpockets, there are also more people for them to choose from. The Rambla itself is not that dangerous aside from petty theft, but yes, the small streets of the Gotic and Raval make it easier for the worse things to happen. Condes is at a great location and will let you see a very different, more regal Barcelona. You are up Passeig de Gracia, which is an amazing strollway, and you can head down Mallorca to the Rambla de Catalunya for even more agreeable strolling. It is the grid part of Barcelona, so you see the more modern (modernista) architecture and get a clearer picture of the kind of city Gaudi was working with when he was around.

If you have "already done" the Ramblas and want more safety, I would stay at Condes and not think twice about it.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank You all!

You helped me make my decison, I'll stay in the Eixample area. Anyway, it sounds convenient to the other sites so I don't think I'll be missing anything.