Search

Barcelona, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona, etc.

I will be in Barcelona for 7 days (is this too long?) What are peoples overall opinion of Barcelona?

1. What side trips can I take?
2. What is the best part of the city to stay in?
3.Hotel recommendations? (Smaller, botique-style hotels, please.) No tourist hotels, if I can help it.
Thanks.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:50 PM

I LOVED Barcelona. Make sure to check out the Gaudi architecture, the Cathedral, and the Picasso Musuem. I also loved walking along the port area and the Miro museum (wonderful at sunset). I don't think 7 days is too long (wouldn't be for me), but there are some good day trips from there (though I haven't taken them yet.)

Can't recommend a hotel--didn't like the one we stayed at though some people in Fodors do (Continental), but I can recommend a very good and inexpensive restaurant--La Dolca Herminia at Magdalenes 27.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:32 PM

I LOVED Barcelona.. so much to see and do... I was in Barcelona for about a week (combined business and vacation). Definitely see all the difft Gaudi architecture, hop on the Bus Turista to see all the sights without the hassle, eat at restaurants (awesome food!), visit the museums, and walk along the waterfront and Les Rambles, drink Sangria!!

1. I stayed in Barcelona, then flew to Madrid. How about flying or taking the train to Bilbao to see the Guggenheim museum?

2. Any part is good. I stayed near the Placa de Cataluna.

3. I stayed at a small hotel. Sorry, can't help you.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:00 PM

We spent six days in Barcelona a couple years ago. Figured we'd take some day trips outside the city but we enjoyed Barcelona so much that we never left. So I don't think seven days is too long at all, especially if you're going to take some day trips.

A "classic" day trip from Barcelona is to the monastery at Montserrat. The town of Girona to the north sounded very interesting (apparently it has a great old medieval quater) and if you like the art of Dali, there's the Dali Museum in Figueres, also to the north.

For a neighborhood in which to stay, I'd recommended either the Eixample or the older Gothic Quarter. Some people like staying right on bustling La Rambla, which runs along the western edge of the Gothic Quarter; others find it too noisy.

Not sure this would qualify as a boutique hotel but I could personally recommend the Hotel Gran Via, on the street of the same name. It's basically on the border between the Eixample and the Gothic Quarter and is only a few blocks from the heart of Barcelona, Placa de Catalunya. The rooms are not fancy but they're fine/clean/etc. and the public spaces -- like the lobby, grand staircase, and breakfast room -- are impressive.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the replies, everyone!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:56 AM

I just discovered this website this morning, 325 photos of Catalunya, beginning with (for some reason) #325. By looking at them, you might find some places you'd want to visit for daytrips.

http://www.gencat.es/escac/

#302 is a nice riverside view of Girona

http://www.gencat.es/escac/girona2.htm
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:08 PM

#240. A great photo of Barcelona's Magic Fountain at night, looking towards the two Venetian towers and Placa de Espanya.

http://www.gencat.es/escac/bcn-nit.htm
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Just back from Barcelona. Vibrant; exciting; cosmopolitan; where its happening. Las Ramblas is the most exciting street in the world. Bus Turistico is worth the one-day intro. REMEMBER anywhere in public, if you get jostled or strange things happen in queues (lines) - immediately think -WALLET. I'm really serious. This is the big negative of Barcelona. Nothing violent.

Once you have the WALLET habit, visit the Boquiera market for your first coffee (just off the Ramblas). The Gothic quarter has museums and the superb gothic cathedral, but its greatest attractions i.m.h.o are the passing parade, the Basque tapas bars, and the wiggly narrow streets (WALLET!!).

Hotel: I always look for value - not marble and other Anglosaxons. So we were very happy with the Hotel Cortes (Euros 123 for a triple; double insolation = no outside noise; 100m from Ramblas and 1 block from Plaza Catalunya; not great if you have a car - walking street/no parking).

Even given the music (all kinds), museums, malls, Gaudi and friends, pubs, etc., 7 days sounds like a lot. So take in Montserrat; perhaps go overnighting in Andorra; visit Sitges (but not if the sight of gays bothers you).

Have a super time,
Peter
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 08:14 AM

Go to the beach!

Girona and Figures (Dali museum) are OK.

If someone grabs at your stuff, don't be afraid to whack them.

Parc Guell is fantastic.

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Intrepid

I absolutely second the idea of valuables security in Barcelona, particularly on the Metro...all you'll need is a moneybelt..the one day I didn't use mine I was pickpocketed and learned my lesson. Barcelona is wonderful and I think the closer to the Gothic Quarter you stay the better.

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 11:17 AM

I never used a moneybelt. Neither did my travelling buddies. The only one stupid enough to try anything on me got smacked in the face really hard.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 03:26 PM

I wish to ask Rocknocker :

Hi Rocknocker can you tell me please the exact name of the hotel
Cortes you stayed in Barcelona, and if you could the e mail or phone...
Thank you.

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 12:28 AM

Hi Graciela,
I took the address for Hotel Cortes in Frommers :
Santa Ana, 25
Ciutat Vella
Phone 93-317-91-12
Fax 93-412-66-08

Have you tried with Bancotel ? They have changed their website, and unless you are going during the fair season, there might be something interesting ... Last year I got the Princesa Sofia for 100 Euro in September, fashion fair and La Mercé altogether ...

Hasta luego, Cova
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 10:14 AM

I was in Barcelona a few years ago for a full week and It was just right. Sitges is great as well as all of Gaudi's work.

As for a hotel,I'm not sure how picky you are but I do know of a great B&B. It's not the really "botique-style" but your hosts will ensure that you get the most from the experience. Marie and Antonio are orginally from the Philippines, speak english and have been hosting travelers in thier apartment for several years. They feed you a delious breakfast each morning and they have a wealth of information on the Bareclona region to be sure that you make the most out of you trip. If I remember coorectly They have one double room and one room with a double bed and a single bed. Like I said thier apartment is nothing snazzy, but very affordable and remember you will be out sightseeing alot anyway.

Here is Marie's e-mail address, for anybody who wishes to contact her, I know she would love to hear from anyone.
[email protected]
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:30 AM

We loved Barcelona... Be sure to see Gaudi's Sagrada Familia--amazing.
We stayed at the Citadines Ramblas Apart hotel- right in the middle of Los Ramblas. We had a 1 bedroom apartment- perfect for a family of 4!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:01 AM

For Graziella5b

This should provide all the info that you require (if the link breaks across 2 or more lines (the URL starts with http and ends with Catalonia.html), then please cut-and-past the bits into your browser's address bar:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Catalonia.html

Metro station is Plaza Catalunya.

Shout if you need more.

Peter

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:49 AM

Great information! We'll be there in October.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:10 AM

We stayed 9 days in Barcelona last year with a part of the stay during a 4 day festival. Loved Gaudi. I prefer to stay in the Gothic area. Stayed in small hotel at the Jardi, very small room but with small balcony over looking a court yard. You could touch the walls while lying in the bed. However, it is a great location. One morning during the festival, a group came by the hotel window near the breakfast area and built a human tower. Got photo of it. It was a wonderful stay in Barcelona. Last year it was the 200th birthday of Gaudi I believe. Enjoyed Barcelona before heading onto a 6 day visit in Paris.
Enjoy your stay in Barcelona!