first trip to Italy over eastertime

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what suggestions or pointers can you give us as a couple visiting Rome and possibly tuscany area for a week and a half over the easter holidays.. we should arrive in Rome on Good Friday...I understand shops etc may be closed on Easter Sunday and the following monday but can anyone give us tips on what to see especially at that time of year. Celebrating a big birthday as well as our 15th wedding anniversary.. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 02:53 PM

Go to St. Peter's to hear the Pope's Easter service?

I talked to a colleague of mine who was in Florence over Easter, and she mentioned it was a pretty happening scene, with all the Italians staying up into the wee hours of the night around the Duomo area.

You can always wander around Rome or Florence and see all the outdoor sites, e.g. Roman Forum, Fountain of Trevi, etc. When things open, then you can hit the museums, etc.

FWIW.

Lil
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I was in Rome Easter weekend in 1999. The Vatican museum stayed open late on Saturday (til 4:45 I think) for the extra influx of tourists. The Easter service was outside in the square but I'm not sure if that is always the case. There were reserved chairs set up and barricaded off and it seemed mainly priests, nuns, bishops etc. were in those seats. Most Italians are off work Easter Monday and like to get out into the countryside for picnics etc. Expect lots of traffic returning to Rome on Monday night.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:10 AM

You can send an email to the Bishops' Office for United States Visitors to the Vatican at:

[email protected]

and ask for tickets to the Easter Mass in St. Peter's square (if they have any left).
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:58 AM

Be sure you have reserved places to stay during Easter--everything really fills up during that period.

Regards,

Jinx Hoover