Easter in Italy

Old Dec 27th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter in Italy

Hi all,
I've posted several times here. You all have been very helpful. Hubby and I are traveling to Italy for first time first two weeks of April 04. We're flying into and out of Rome, and with your help, we've decided to hit Rome, Florence and Venice with a trip to Sienna before Florence. Is there anything we should be aware of pertaining to Easter? We've heard the Vatican can be a nightmare, but other than that, what should be avoid or be aware of?
Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 07:26 PM
cmt

I think there have been quite a few threads touching on Easter in Sicily. If interested, you might enter the search terms Easter and Sicily and you will come up with some of those discussions.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 07:52 PM

I love Italy at Easter time. One of the most moving experiences of my life was on Palm Sunday at the Vatican... I was 10 years old and it was amazing!!! You will LOVE IT!
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 07:21 AM

I've spent two Easters in Rome, the last one this past April. Neither experience was a nightmare. I didn't find the city significantly more crowded than other times of the year that I have visited. Certainly crowds gather for the special Holy Week events like the Pope hearing confession and washing feet, Stations of the Cross on Good Friday at the Colosseum and of course the Easter Mass in St. Peter's Square (you need tickets to that). These are all very special things to witness, despite the crowds. The Vatican Museums will be more crowded during that time due to all the pilgrims visiting Rome. The Monday after Easter is a national holiday and many things are closed. But it is a wonderful time to be in Rome.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

I've been reading all the threads on Easter in Italy and I'm finding lots of different opinions. We arrive in Rome Saturday April 3, day before Palm Sunday. We're thinking now about staying in Rome until mid-week, then instead of taking train to Florence, renting a car and driving to small hill town to remain until Monday after Easter. Then train to Venice. Any thoughts on this plan? What is Palm Sunday like in Rome? What about Venice during week after Easter? And how would Tuscany be during the Easter holiday?
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Venice is jam packed over Easter weekend, but thins out quite a bit by the end of the day on Easter Monday, a good time to plan to arrive there.