Easter in Rome?

Mar 6th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Easter in Rome?

Is it absolutely insane to be in Rome for Easter?
Mar 6th, 2005, 04:33 AM

Although I have never been in Rome on Easter Sunday, I did spend Palm Sunday through Good Friday there in 2002. Unfortunately that was my only visit, however, so my observations may not be that valid. I found the Vatican area extremely crowded on the day we went, but the museums elsewhere were not congested. I've experienced far worse gridlock in London in July, or Paris over spring break for example. Not to be missed is the Good Friday evening mass at the Colosseum. We chose a spot on the hillside on the periphery of the crowd, but could still see the papal party and hear well. The torch lit Colosseum provides an incredible background that seemed at that moment to transcend all time and space... a very moving experience even though I am not of the Catholic faith.
Mar 6th, 2005, 05:12 AM

I have been in Rome during Easter, and it was not a problem. You may have to adjust your schedule a little bit, depending on what you are intending on doing, but it should be fine. Even the Borghese Gallery was open on Easter Sunday. Finding open restaurants was not a problem.

--Marv
Mar 6th, 2005, 01:29 PM

One year we were in Rome over Easter, and everything was fine.

I am sure the Pope will not be partaking in any Easter celebrations this Easter season however.

But you should have a beautiful visit.
Mar 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I guess what I'm wondering now is, if I had the choice to be in a different Italian city on Easter would that be better. I have a lot of flexibility in Italy and, this being my first time to Rome, I'd like to make the most of it. So do you think going there during Easter is a plus or a negative?
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:55 PM

I am curious as know if you stayed in Rome last Easter and what you thought. We are planning a trip right right now for this Easter and I can't seem to choose where we shoudl plant ourselves for the holiday.. Rome, Venice or Florence. Any suggestions?