Easter In Rome by mistake

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked plane tickets on Eurofly the other day. I booked as late as I could in March for the good fare. I discovered only after that it is the week before Easter. Has anyone been to Rome the week before Easter? How crowded will it be. We've already done the Vatican so we won't be heading there. I'm also not going to Rome to see the churches, although I do visit them while there. Have I made a huge mistake or is it a happy one? Oh yes, we already put a deposit on an apartment with a slightly higher rate due to the Easter week.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, it will be crowded so it's good that you already been to the Vatican. Do plan on being in the square at St. Peter's Easter Sunday to see the Pope. It's crowded, but moving. Many things will be closed Easter Monday also.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

We will be departing Rome on Good Friday. We will be there the saturday before Palm Sunday through Good Friday. We are staying in the northern part of the Trastevere on via della lungara. I know that Trastevere can be packed with party goers, but I think this particular spot will be ok. We are also contemplating an overnight to Florence. I'm not sure about that though. Has anyone done a side trip to Florence from Rome?
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 05:44 PM

The northern part of Trastevere is close to the Vatican but just go to Jewish quarter to eat. You'll be fine and eat well. Churches at Easter look lovely.

Rome is always crowded these days. You just can't win. Have a nice time.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM

Regarding going to Firenze:

For Italians, Easter holiday is a travel opportunity, so they love jamming into their own great tourist attractions. Rather than a day trip to Firenze, why not try Orvieto, or even Pompeii, since at other times of year, hot weather makes Pompeii unpleasant.

But you might much prefer finding hidden corners of Roma and not daytripping at all.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We were in Rome that same week in 2005. It was absolutely fine. There were a lot of school groups but Rome is a big city and can absorb a lot of tourists.

Florence is only a couple of hours by train so an overnight is completely doable.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. My husband kind of has his heart set on seeing Florence. I was there many moons ago as a teenager. It might be interesting to see it again. It was crowded then, but I imagine more so now. I was there in 1966; I'm dating myself.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The ES train from Rome to Florence only takes 90 minutes so you can easily do a day trip. Check closing days for the museums you want to see.
http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/orari.asp

Mouse over this map link for location of museums.
http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/musei/