Search

First trip to Italy and Europe

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Italy and Europe

Hi,
I plan to attend a meeting in Sestri Levante, Italy May 19-22, 2010.
My wife and I have decided on a 3 week trip.
I have to decide if I place the meeting at the start, middle or end of the trip.
This will depend on my work schedule.

We'd appreciate any recommendations on how to plan a 3 week trip.
Stay in Italy, travel to other parts of Europe.
Rent car, use trains? Do it ourselves or use a travel agent?
We are just in the planning phase and have never been to Italy or Europe. Thanks. CL
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 03:35 PM
J62

I would place the meeting at the beginning of the trip. While you attend the meetings your wife could explore the Cinque Terre by day.

Three weeks would make for a wonderful trip to Italy. You could combine the big cities Rome, Florence, Venice with a week in Tuscany, and still have time for other places like Assisi, Verona, Pompeii, etc.

I like to use a combination of trains (for city to city travel) and car rental (for countryside).

One thing you should definitely look into is an open jaw flight, where you fly into one city and out of another. This can save a lot of backtracking and often costs no more than a simple round trip.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM

Hello slibee, do you and your wife have a great interest in Italy or do some other European countries interest you more than Italy? And what are your interest regardless of what countries you visit? Do you enjoy museums, large cities, small towns, countryside, seaside, mountains, architect, history? What type of food do you enjoy?

Most Fodorite's plan their own trips versus using a travel agent and with all the good help here on Fodor's plus looking at guide books (no doubt your local library has a good collection) you would no doubt be better off doing the same.

Regarding modes of transportation that would depend on where you will visit. For example, just using Italy as the example..if you visited the three main cities which would be Rome, Florence and Venice you would not need a rental car. If you wanted to spend some time in the countryside of Tuscany, Umbria etc., you would want a rental car.

You have time to plan your trip so I would suggest for right now you do some research regarding what appeals to you two and than come back and list a tenative itinerary etc. You will get a lot of responses I am sure. And have fun! I always think the first trip to Italy/Europe is the best one of all.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Here is a start. I would stay in Italy for this trip and probably put your meeting near the end--flying home for Milan.

http://www.slowtrav.com/europe/bob_planning.htm
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Hi CL -
First, this is a trip you can plan yourselves. That's a big part of the fun. If I had 3 weeks I'd stay in Italy the entire time.

You should put your meeting at the beginning or end, not in the middle. Then get a good guide book and a map and start thinking about where you'd like to visit. Country, city, different regions. For flights you should consider flying in (or out) near your meeting, then fly out (or in) from a different location, such as Rome.

If it were my trip, I'd start with my meeting to get it out of the way, flying into Milan. I'd then go to Bologna for 3 or 4 days (taking the train to Ravenna one day for a fantastic day trip), then Venice for 3 days. I'd then head to Umbria for a week (and I'd rent a car for this) then return the car, spend a week in Rome, and fly home.

Others would add in Florence, and with 3 weeks you totally could do that. Other wonderful areas are the Cinque Terre, or Sicily. So much to consider!

Anyway - a guide book is your best place to start.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 04:57 PM

That is a wonderful time to be in Italy - the weather is warm but not hellishly hot yet, the countryside is beautiful, days are long and the number of tourists is still limited - which can mean good deals on hotels. If you really want to see Italy 3 weeks will give you a good taste.

But, when we do 3 week trips we always do at lest 2 countries - so we get a flavor of more than one culture. For instance, with Italy we usually pair Switzerland or Austria - so you have a taste of the latin and a taste of the germanic. But you need to realize that this reduces the number of places you can see in each place. This works out for us since we go to europe almost every year on vacation (and on business as well in between).

But it all depends on what your must sees are. I wold get some tour brochures (am not recommending a tour - IMHO independent travel is much more rewarding - but it will give you an idea of what YOU really have to see. Supplement this with a couple of guide books, then come back with more specific queries about some of the places that are on your must do list.

Agree to do the meeting first if possible, since it will giv eyou a chance to settle in and get over culture shock before you're out on your own.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Because it gets SO warm in Italy in the summer, I would begin before the meeting in Rome, the warmest area, (dip into the Amalfi Coast for a couple days, if interested). Then work your way North and go wherever your interests lie. If just Florence, Venice - you can do by train. If you want to see Sienna, Assisi, San Gimminano, and more of Umbria or Tuscany, you will need a car for that part.

If you want to do the Cinque Terra - a massive highlight to me and to many "outdoors" types-
it gets very warm in June. In May - before the meeting - the weather would be very pleasant.

Following the meeting, you could do a few days in the lake district. If you choose Bellaggio on Lake Como, there are very good train connections to St. Moritz, Switzerland. The train ride.3 hrs or so,
is very scenic and you would get a little taste of Switzerland. We only stayed 1 night in St. Moritz but enjoyed it very much. It is then an easy train back to Milan for a night or 2 before flying home from Milan.

With 3 weeks and never being to Europe, ever, you certainly have time to see the Italian and/or Swiss Alps on the same trip.

This would give you many contrasts on your trip - Cities, Seascapes, Architecture, Art, canals (Venice), and mountains and lakes.

Check out Rick Steves guides, he has good suggested itineraries and modes of transportation.
Frommers and Fodors are good guides also.

This planning will seem daunting at first, but it gets easier and is so much fun! You are fortunate to have 3 weeks!
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Regarding whether to place your meeting at the beginning, middle, or end, I would base my decision on (1) costs, (2) weather, (3) crowds. I suggest you look at air/hotel costs for each schedule - if that is important to you. Also check the average weather for the weeks prior to & after your meeting. Also, when is Easter in 2010? I wouldn't want to share my time in Italy with the Easter crowds, but then maybe you wouldn't mind. I prefer avoiding as many tourists as possible, so I would think that the weeks before your meeting will be less crowded than the weeks after, if Easter is not a factor.

My best 'suggestion' is to be careful with making decisions based on other travelers' suggestions, until you advise us of what you & your want! Why - we all like/dislike different areas, cities, activities, etc. For instance, my husband & I are headed for our 5th trip to Italy in the last 5 years & we would not enjoy any of the itineraries suggested so far - but you might, & obviously others do.

So, let the Fodorites know the following, so that the responses are more to your travel desires - do you want time in a countryside, looking at scenery, visiting wineries, lounging, resting, etc.? Or do you want cities with lots of history, siteseeing, things to see/do? Or, do you want a mixture? If you want a mixture, how long do you want in the relaxing/scenery area?

With 3 weeks you could, & may be tempted to see major places in other countries, like London, Paris, etc. If you are so tempted, be sure to understand the reality of how much time & energy you lose in doing such traveling. The same applies to moving around a lot in Italy - you basically lose the travel days & the packing/unpacking/making connections/etc. can be very tiring.

Can't wait to hear what activities you and your wife want. Then I'll put in my opinons of what we love about Italy!

Julie
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Just to let you know slibee, Easter in 2010 is on April 4th.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM

I'm not sure what your meeting participation will involve, but if it requires you be active and engaged, I'd be inclined to put the meeting at the start of the trip. The reason is that otherwise you will not be able to put it out of your mind during the rest of your trip, and it might detract somewhat if you are researching, checking email, etc.

However, I'd generally prefer early May to early June for Italy, so it is tough. Maybe figure out a way that you can limit your preparation (again assuming that you will have to do so).
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate the quick inputs. So much to consider.
Looks like we'll need to do some research. Tomorrow we plan to spend time at our favorite book store's travel section.

We tend to like avoiding crowds and tourist traps and enjoy finding places off the beaten path. Getting to know places on foot has lead to many of our best adventures. I'll be back with more specifics. Thanks. CL