any special places that are a must see beside rome florence venice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:52 AM
carolyn

any special places that are a must see beside rome florence venice

going to the big 3 in august anyone have any special highlights or must sees

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Alice Twain

Italy has no particular must sees at all. Eve the three destinations you have named are the most famous but not necessarly the most beautiful. Almost all main cities of Italy have lots of things to see, every region has loads of things to see. I always feel a bit dismayed by the too many people who come to Italy (but the same things might be true for all the countries in the world), spend a few days in Rome-Florence-Venice and go back home thinking that they have seen the whole of Italy. If it was up to me, I would kip altogether these cities, maybe except for Rome, that have become really tourist-clogged, as well as I would skip Cinque Terre, Siena and Costiera amalfitana. Italy has so much to offer: a much better choiche is to fix you atttention on just one area of Italy and tour it extensively. You might not see the Vatican, but you will have see so many things, so many works of art that none of your acquaintencies have ever seen or heard about that you will start to doubt that you have visited the same country. And you will be far richer because Rome can be seen in almost too many movies and photos, while not many people outside Italy have sen the lovely piazza Ducale in Vigevano or the Balzi Rossi caves or the trulli biuldings in Alberobello.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Sherri Kardell

Dear Carolyn;<BR>I ditto Alice's response.If you have the luxury to really dig into a region of a country you will have a very full and enriching experience.If you have your heart set on a city pick one and then explore the surrounding region.I would pick Florence Tuscany and Umbria if you have time; a minimum of 2 weeks but preferably 3 if you can swing it.I have lots of info. on this area; if you are interested email with questions etc.<BR>La Dolce Italy<BR>Sherri

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Leslie

While there are some "must-sees" within these 3 cities, I agree that it is impossible to state a "must-see" in addition to them. This is all very individual.<BR><BR>My only suggestion is that if one goes only to these cities, you may miss some of the beautiful countryside and small villages. You will have only a very urban experience. In the middle of these three you have Tuscany and Umbria that offer so many little towns and farmstay opportunities that would be nice for balance.<BR><BR>I suggest you read about these regions and come back with some more specific questions. Have fun planning.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 01:17 PM
russ

Alice,<BR><BR>How funny that you would mention Vigevano in your post. I just went there for the first time 3 weeks ago, but I forgot to mention it in my trip report. The piazza is certainly one of the most beautiful I have seen in Italy, and I have traveled there quite extensively. We also went to a charming village about 20 minutes from Vigevano called Morimondo. Do you know it?<BR><BR>Also Alberobello, one of our favorite day trips on the week we spent in Puglia 4 years ago. Also great in the same area were Locorotondo and Martina Franca.<BR><BR>Carolyn,<BR><BR>In answer to the orignal question, depending how much time you have, there is plenty to see and do between Rome and Florence, the obvious being Orvieto, Todi, Spoleto, Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, Cortona, Arezzo. Between Florence and Venice there is Bologna, Ferrara, Padova, Mantova, Verona, Vicenza. Good luck and have fun!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:25 AM
Alice Twain

Leslie<BR><BR>I did not say that it is impossible to state a must-se in addition to these, I actually meant that I do not even think of thee places as must see! I even dislike Venice and I do not think too much of Florence: it is a nice place, but there are less known places that are far more interesting than Florence itself.<BR><BR>Russ<BR><BR>Actually I thought of Vigevano for the simple reason that I have one friend in Vigevano and that I have three pictures of Vigevano on my desktop right now (along witha few pictuers of Pistoia and of Scario). I live in Milano, so I can visit the city quite often by train.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:48 AM
Howard

Yes, there has been some solid advice and suggestions already. But, until Carolyn tells us how long a trip she's taking, it's really difficult to give the best advice and suggestions! Hey, her trip may be too short to even to justice to the three cities!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:46 AM
GordonB

Carolyn, you MUST see the Battistero in Pisa, the tower is, of course, unique but for sheer simplicity of design and elegance the interior of the bAttistero is astounding. Top tip: wait for the door man to close the door and demonstrate the acoustics. He sings one long note, then waits for a couple fo seconds, sings another slightly different and 3 different ones come back. It's like there is a choir hidden in their somewhere!