First International Trip Ever!

Old Nov 27th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First International Trip Ever!

My husband and I are planning are very first international trip. We have chosen Italy and are pretty much clueless. We are drawn Tuscany and it's surrounding areas. We are looking at a two week trip in possiblyin the fall, but are open to suggestions. We need ideas, advice and suggestions. We love great food, some history, great scenery(of course) and shopping. Authentic food is best and shopping should be affordable and authentic, as well. Outdoor markets that are not so much tourist traps. Our kids have been with their grandparents, so we have a little information but would love to hear any suggestions out there.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 05:55 AM

For a first trip to Italy, we have recommended the following to many friends and all have been very happy with the itinerary. When do you plan to go? We normally visit Italy either in early May or in late September and early October - cooler weather and fewer tourists.

With 2 weeks, fly into Venice and spend 3 days, travel to Florence for 3 days, spend 4 days in the Tuscan countryside (stay in an agritourismo), finish with 4 days in Rome. Fly home from Rome. Normally, I would not recommend such short stays but this itinerary can be accomplished in two weeks. If you can spare a few more days, that would be great. You will return and can stay longer in your favorite places and see other places.

While in the countryside, rent a car. Public transportation works well for the cities and between cities (trains), but the countryside is best visited with a car.

There are markets in all of the cities and towns; once you decide on where you want to go, visit this website for market days. In Venice, you must visit the Rialto Market, a fish and food market which is amazing.

Have lots of fun planning and, when you have decided on your itinerary, those of us who love Italy would be happy to help with details.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 07:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mikensheila,

welcome. you will get loads of opinions here about what you could/should do, but never forget that the people whose opinion matters most is your own.

mamcalice has come up with a terrific itinerary for first-timers visiting Italy. however, i think that for you to get the most out of your trip, you need to think about whether mainly restricting yourselves to the major tourist centres is actually what you want to do. also, are you willing to drive for at least part of the trip?

that said, you do NOT want a car in Florence or Rome, and of course you can't have one in Venice, which i would agree with Mamcalice is a perfect place to start.

why not get hold of a guide book to Italy from your library and have a think about where you would like to go and what you want to see?
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Mike and Sheila:

This forum is loaded with Italy Lovers, including this one. You can rest assured, as Mamcalice states, you will be covered with suggestions, pix, and itineraries. First do the initial planning (please get a good map). I think the proposed itin above makes good sense for a two week visit..and I, too, hope you can stretch it by a few days if possible.
stu
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM

MikenSheila,

Spend a lot of time reading trip reports here. They will give you many ideas, practical advice, and help you start understanding what YOU may enjoy or not enjoy!

Personally, I have found guidebooks a very good place to start. Although many people ridicule Rick Steves, I think his guidebooks can give a lot of very good practical information on basics. He also has actually pointed me to a couple of my all time favorite Italian destinations (although those are now - 15 years later - heavily touristed areas).

I also like to read a basic guidebook such as Rick Steves, or Fordors, etc. to get an idea of some of the things to see in various cities, towns, areas as well as the open hours/days. Once you have developed a list of things you are interested in, we can give you advice on what is "doable".

On my first trip to Italy, I was only in Venice and Rome for 1 1/2 days each. I saw two or three of the main sights. the second time I visited each city, I was able to stay for 5 days. I had a long list of the sights taken from guidebooks and was able to enjoy so much more in depth, but I also had time for people watching, wine and gelato!

I'm one of those people who like to balance a trip between cities and countryside. Both are so fantastic in Italy! If you do end up following mamchalice's suggested itinerary, you will have just about the right amount of time in each destination.

Now - throw in your own interests and tweek! Personally, I would spend less time in Florence. Not because I don't love the art, but because I didn't care for the city. Others LOVE it. I would take at least a day from Florence and add it to any of the other 3 destinations, but that's just me!

Happy planning!
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a series of ancient cities that flow from Florence, Siena, Padova etc down towards Rome. We did them on a bicycle but they are worth visiting, eating, drinking etc.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM

As well as researching what you want to see/do - be sure to have a look at the weather. If by fall you mean Sept of Oct - much of Italy will be fairly hot (at first) and then pleasant. But if you wait until late Nov it will get much cooler and rainier - and the countryside won't be that attractive (grey and dingy until spring).
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 11:22 AM

MikenSheila:

I love the title of your post. It's so great to see someone come here all excited about their first trip! You will receive lots of suggestions here.

My personal view of Italy, after several trips, is that you can't leave Venice out! You only need a couple of days, but it is magical in any time of year.

For a first trip to a foreign country, I would also suggest you stick near major cities and don't rent a car. The train system is terrific and will give you a chance to travel with less stress.

Rome is, IMHO, very intense. I would give it a week of my time and go there first before you're tired and/or homesick. Follow that with Venice for a quiet rest after Rome.

Florence has become very crowded so if you do Rome/Venice/Florence you should have a nice mix of crowds and peace.

You're going to have a wonderful time!
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Consider untours.com. They have options for Tuscany that are perfect for your first time. We rented an apartment on a winery in Montalcino that was wonderful. They provide you with just the right amount of assistance, or none at all if you prefer. They will arrange the travel or you can do that on your own. They meet you at the airport, accompany you to the auto rental location and lead you to your apartment. If you choose, you can do that on your own as well.

They have a meeting at a beautiful monastery and a hosted lunch with their local expert and then there are options for other group things if you like. They gave us maps and a book of helpful tips.

They have a forum on their website with helpful posters as well.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 12:01 PM

I agree that for first-time travelers, Rick Steve's guidebooks are just fine. Be sure to read all the introductory stuff, not just the descriptions of various locations. You want to know as much as possible about how to travel in Italy, local customs, food and wine, etc. to make your trip more comfortable.

Also go to SlowTrav.com and look at Italy information. Lots of good stuff there.

I don't understand your remark about your kids being with their grandparents.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think the OP meant the kids had been to Italy with the grandparents.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 12:56 PM

ricksteves.com great for euroewbies lots of Tuscany/Italy

shoews all weekend fund raising specials on pbs.org currently

His guide books have great tips...

My wife and I have been going almost annually for several

decades... we usually fly into Milan on AA.com usually

do CC FF miles specials with their AAdvantage programs

rack up 80000 miles booked our free TA flights to save.

seat61.com/italy we hop regional trains from 2 euro/hr

www.eurocheapo.com great ldoging budget tips

We usually do cinqueterre.com portofino area then

www.lucca.info www.orvieto.info Rome back up to Florence

finish in www.venice-tourism.com(best) back to Milan

In fact we have booked and will do something like this

in April May 2012... Have fun!
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Forgot just a heads up monitor travel.state.gov

Italy is in a major fianancial crisis right now strikes etc.

Bank runs may start in the near future so I always

insuremytrip.com stay flexible insure anything I book.

The Biggest Italian bank Uni-Credit may fail soon

all their corporate clients have left so caveat emptor.