First timer

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Rocky

First timer

Can anyone tell me if the Swiss are part of the EU and use the Euro? If not, what do they use and how does it compare to the US dollar? I am thinking of buying a Swiss Flexi Pass and using the train system to visit Murren, Interlaken, Lucerne, Lugano. Can I take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz since I want to take the Bernina express from St. Moritz to Tirano/Lugano? Will I need a heavy jacket in the summer for the mountain tops? Thanks

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Maggie

Hello Rocky,
No, Switzerland is not in the EU and the currency there is Swiss francs.
Am not aware of the current exchange rate but if you go into Google you are sure to find it.
Regards
Maggie

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Maggie

Hello Rocky,
No, Switzerland is not in the EU and the currency there is Swiss francs.
Am not aware of the current exchange rate but if you go into Google you are sure to find it.
Regards
Maggie

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Leslie

I was in Zermatt and St. Moritz a few years ago in August. As I recall, a few people in my group did some summer skiing in Zermatt and said that it was quite slushy. We took the tram up to view the Matterhorn, and wore jeans, sweatshirts and windbreakers. In St. Moritz, I remember people wearing shorts. Actually, it was very hot in St. Moritz while we were there.

You can check Oanda.com to determine what the current exchange rate is between the US dollar and Swiss Franc.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Gloria

If the Swiss isn't part of the EU, then why are they quoting hotel rates, etc. in euro?

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 11:58 PM
MaryC

Are they only quoting in Euros or are they quoting in Swiss francs and Euros? If it's the latter, could be that they are giving conversions rates on their site.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:10 AM
Gloria

You're correct. They are quoting in both Swiss Francs and euro. Thanks for the explanation.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Ronda

I just got back from two weeks in Switzerland using the Swiss Saver Pass (349 swiss franks each when purchased at the train station at Zurich airport). It was great. All our trains, busses, and ferrys were included. What was not included were private lines in the Berner Oberland such as the tram to Schilthorn, the train to Kleine Sheidegg from Wengen or Murren but many gave a small discount with the Swiss Pass. You might try searching on this subject because a lot has been written analyzing different passes.

My husband and I each took a 22 inch suitcase and there were a few things I wish I had taken. It seemed like everyone in the Berner Oberland area were dressed right out of REI - next time I would take hiking boots or at least Adidas hiking type shoes. People really like those pants with the zip off legs and while I had no need for a heavy coat, I wish we had better rain gear such as lightweight waterproof windbreaker type jacket and pants.

While I have never used a walking stick, everyone, especially the swiss, had those high tech ones that look like ski poles. You can find them in any of the sport shops in the area over there.

The weather in the Berner Oberland was much as you would expect in Yosemite. Warm days, cool evenings, occasional rain, snow at the top of the Jungfrau. We did not go to the top Jungfraujoch but we talked with another couple who did. They were from Texas and enjoyed a snow "storm" in July even though they couldn't see a thing. They were looking for cold.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:36 AM
Ronda

Excuse me, in the first paragraph that should be the trains from Wengen or Grindlewald (not Murren) to Kleine Scheidegg were not included.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:31 AM
Ronda

The price of that Swiss Pass was for 14 or 15 days.

Other items I wish I had brought: hat and small binoculars.

You will need sunscreen and buy yourself an edelwise (sp?) bandana for your neck. The sun is intense.

I don't know if it still holds true, but I think the exchange rate was something like 1.5 SF to $1. So if an item is 400 SF, divide by 2= 200 plus 1/2 again or 100 SF = $300 (I am math challenged so this was easy for me).

I have posted info on Murren under the Postcard from Switzerland thread.