Euro's OK with Swiss?

Search

Euro's OK with Swiss?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro's OK with Swiss?

We will be staying in France during our upcoming vacation and plan to do some day trips into Switzerland in our car.<BR><BR>Are we going to need to buy some Swiss Francs or do many establishments also now accept Euro's?
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:20 AM

Terry<BR><BR>Lots of places in Switzerland accept Euros, restaurants, supermarkets, department stores, boats, trains, etc. will all take Euros. Many of these places don't take Euro coins though and will give you your change in Francs. You can always change Euros for Francs at train stations, banks etc or just take money out of an ATM. This will ensure that you have Francs for small places that don't take Euros and for automated ticket machines for car parking and for local buses.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:21 AM

I would check the exchange rate. I am sure that it will be horrendous. A trip to the ATM will get you a small amount of Francs at a better exchange rate.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 12:28 PM

When we visited Bern last year the restaurants and stores didn't want euro only Swiss francs. Maybe it's different these days.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 12:40 PM

My experience is generally you need to pay with Swiss francs. Only in border areas with heavy cross-border traffic like Basel and Schaffhausen (Rhine Falls) you'll find shops happily taking euros. Also many parking meters have different slots for Swiss and euro coins. As Swiss franc floats against euro, the rate is variable and you don't do as well as getting francs from ATM. But on a day trip with only small purchases, perhaps it doesn't matter.