First time traveller!

Sep 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

First time traveller!

In Oct. hubby & I are travelling to Vienna. We will have 3 wks. & are hoping to visit some surrounding countries as well, such as Germany, Northern Italy, Switzerland etc.

We've decided to rent a car & use a train for point to point travel if need be.

Does anyone have any good ideas about reasonable B & B's outside of the main cities?

Is the food so very different from what we are used to? Any ideas or suggestions as to what to see, eat, where to stay would be appreciated greatly!

We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary there as well, so are very excited.

Thanks so much

Jacquie in Winnipeg

Sep 15th, 2007, 12:03 PM

OK -- just a few quick comments:

3 weeks is not very long for 4 countries - let alone adding your "etc."

Those are all big places. Also October is coming up pretty fast - so you need to book your places ASAP. Are you flying in to Vienna and back out from there too? (Open jaw would have been better, but if you have already booked it is too late for that)

If you are flying in/out of Vienna I'd stick to Austria, Bavaria and a bit of Switzerland. But you need to give us more to work w/. What sorts of things do you want to see/do?
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM
ira

Hi im,

>In Oct. hubby & I are travelling to Vienna.

When in Oct?

Do you have your airline tickets?

You have to get on this STAT if you expect to find any accomodations in early Oct.

3 weeks is good for Vienna, Prague and Budapest with a few side trips.

>We've decided to rent a car

To go where and see what?
You will need an International Drivers Permit for Austria. See www.aaasouth.com/travel_drivers.asp#idp

>Is the food so very different from what we are used to?

What are you used to?

>Any ideas or suggestions .....
Start by clicking "Destinations".

I wish you a very happy anniversary, but you have a lot of planning to do.

Sep 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

My hubby won airfare thru his work (Air Canada) so it's in & out from Vienna. In naming the countries, I realize we can't see them all, it was just a choice we have, tho we definitely want to see abit of Germany.

We enjoy the touristy things to a point such as history ;so the odd museum would be good, as well as a walking tour sort of thing, to see the architecture. We enjoy walking a lot, & would also luv to take a train somewhere ... I've never been on a train, can you believe it? lol

We have enjoyed B & B's in Canada, & like to get to know people abit if we can in that way. We are pretty laid back back, nothing specific planned yet, always up for something new & different, off the beaten path if you will. Not much for the operas & such, but more things that the people living there are interested in.
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

As for food, we tend to eat fairly healthy, lean meats, lots of veggies & fruits, milk, not much in the way of processed or fried/deepfried foods or fast food.

I suppose being a first time traveller, my 'dreams' of seeing many countries is abit silly, but .... that's why I'm here asking the experts!

Hugs Jacquie
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Also, we'll be getting an International Driver's License thru our CAA, which we've been to asking about car & train rates.
Sep 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
ira

Hi I,

You have 3 weeks starting in Vienna. As I pointed out, Vienna/Prague/Budapest would fill your time and you wouldn't need a car.

Since you want to see Germany and are planning on driving, I suggest heading down to Salzburg, going across to Bavaria and then circling back to Vienna.

You might find my trip report helpful:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

>..we tend to eat fairly healthy, lean meats, lots of veggies & fruits, milk,

In Austria and Germany?

You will be able to maintain your healthy diet, but don't skip the wursts, the noodles, the pastries and whipped cream.

In Salzburg, I can highly recommend www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home

Sep 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Are you sure you want to rent a car? I would be tempted myself to plan around using the train for a more relaxing first trip to that area.

In 3 weeks time, I would pick 5 places max. to visit. I don't see the point of spending all your time in the car, or on the train, checking in and out of hotels, instead of more fully enjoying the days in a less number of places.
Sep 17th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

I agree about narrowing down the number of places we visit...just 'Beginner's' excitement I suppose..knowing so many countries are right next door, so to speak lol.

We are rethinking the driving part now as well, after hearing from all of you...thanks so much!
Sep 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM

You're welcome

It's just the trains are so amazing in that part of Europe. It's entirely stress-free (once you're on the train)... you and your husband can talk, watch the scenery go by, have some food and wine, instead of worrying over a map, best routes, driving on roads you don't know, with signage in a language you don't speak. I can only speak to Switzerland but they drive FAST on the 'freeways' there. Also you need a special permit for that country, different from the others.

The train, you just toodle on down to the train station and off you go to your next city.

I know some people love to drive in Europe, but I never have, and recommend it with caution because it's your very first trip.