Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vienna, Beginning & End...but what inbetween??

Sep 27th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Alright, so my husband & I will be arriving & departing Vienna on our 3 week trip, as so many of you already know.

We have decided (sort of lol) that we will leave Vienna to visit for the end of our trip, spending about 5 days there, with perhaps day trips to Salzburg at least.

Tentatively, we are thinking...

Arrive in Vienna Oct. 8, stay the nite.
Oct. 9, train to Munich, stay till Oct. 14, visiting Dachau as well
Oct. 14, train/fly to Paris, stay till Oct. 18
Oct. 18 train/fly to Vienna, stay till departure Oct. 27....tour Vienna, day trip perhaps to Salzburg/Innsbruck?

What do you think? Is it doable AND relaxed?

Some have suggested a stop in Prague...do they use the Euro there or their own currency?

Thanks everyone....you are great!
Sep 27th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Prague is so close to Vienna. Paris is so far. I would highly recommend Prague. It is a beautiful city. The Czech government surrendered to the Germans in WWII so the city was not bomed. There is a lot to see & do there. You could spend 4 days there very easily.

You don't say whether or not you are renting a car. I assume you are. But if you are not you should know that Innsbruck is a 5 hour train ride from Vienna. You can do a day trip but it is a long & tiring day. Of course if you rent a car you can get to Innsbruck a lot faster.

I also think that arriving in Vienna on the 8th & taking a train to Munich on the 9th is really pushing it. Why not split your time in Vienna. Spend 5 days in Vienna at the beginning of the trip & another 5 days at the end of your trip. Now to me THAT sounds relaxing.

Prague has their own currency, the Koruna (CZK). If you drive there is a currency exchange at the Austria/Czech border. If you do go to Prague be careful where you exchange your money. DH & I were able to get the best exchange rate at our hotel (go figure). DH & some friends got ripped off at one of the currency exchange booths. The one friend was so made she stood outside the booth and told people not to change their money there! ATM's are still your best bet.
Sep 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, Cheribob!

I know that Paris is a bit of a distance, but it's some place we've always wanted to go lol..the romantic in us, I suppose.

A day trip to Salzburg only from Vienna, would that be less tiring then, instead of adding in Innsbruck?

We won't be driving. It would be our first time & neither is confident enough, nor do we have the budget for it.

Thanks for the info on the currency in Prague, very important!

My husband & I will get our itinerary done this weekend. I know it seems like it's being left till the last minute, but it was only yesterday that our plane seats there & back were confirmed lol.

Sep 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Is flying into one city and out of another out of the question for y'all for some reason?

It may be cheaper and you would loose less time traveling I would think. I'm flying into Munich and out of Vienna for just that reason. Just a thought...lynda
Sep 28th, 2007, 10:08 AM

hi, imcanadian -

have you looked at a map?

why are you starting in Vienna but not staying any time until you get back?

are you going to rent a car at all?

Salzburg is actually between Munich and Vienna, so it would make sense to see it on the way there. also the drive along the Danube west of Vienna is supposed to be spectacular.

this is what I would do.

Day 1 arrive Vienna. stay 3 nights [allows for jetlag, getting orientated, etc.]

Day 4 pick up hire car - drive to Munich via Salzburg. Take 2 nights at least over this.

DAy 7 arrive Munich. STay 4 nights.

Day 11 fly to Paris. spend 5 nights.

Day 16 fly to Prague. spend 3 ngihts.

DAy 19 collect car. Drive back to Vienna via Cesky Krumlov and Melk Abbey.

alterntively you could fly straight back to Vienna from Paris if you preferred.

This combines seeing a bit more of central europe AND Paris. You'd be able to see a lot more if you cut out the paris bit. Are you not likely to be able to see it any other time? it doesn't fit very well with the Vienna arrival and departure.

the Czech republic doesn't use the euro but it's still ok to go there and I don't know anyone who doesn't rave about Prague.

regards, ann
Sep 28th, 2007, 12:36 PM

A flight from Paris-Orly to Vienna or Bratislava might be cheaper than the train:

http://www.flylc.com/directall-en.asp
Sep 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Taking the train to Munich the day after your arrival might not be bad. You can nap as the countryside whizzes by. But why not go directly to Munich?
Sep 28th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all comments & advice!

The reason for arriving & departing for Vienna is this...my husband won the airfare at his work, so we really don't have a choice there lol.