Search

First time to Greece

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Greece

Hi,

We are planning a holiday to Greece next year. Have never been to Europe before. We have one afternoon/evening in Athens (a Sunday) and then go off to Kefallonia for a week. We fly back to Athens late p.m. and then want to plan a trip to Paros then Santorini (3 nights in each). I am comfortable to sort out accommodation in both locations (but happy to receive recommendations) and flight back from Santorini.

My uncertainty is booking ferries. I would like to get a fast boat ferry to Paros but am unable to see timetables online. As I only have half a Sunday in Athens the week prior, do you think the hotel would book it for me or know what the timetable would be (am staying at the Sofitel because we're pretty well flying in and flying out)? I just don't want to arrive in Athens late p.m. and find I can't get on the fastboat to Paros the next day.

Also will it be easy to book the ferry to Santorini from Paros after we arrive in Paros?

What would be the best method of transport from Athens Airport to the ferry port.

Thanks for your time.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 01:09 AM

We were in Greece for the first time this past Sept - you are going to love it!

Not sure when you are going, but on 3 Sept (Sat) this year we arrived around 1pm and bought fast ferry tickets for the 5:40pm ferry that same day at the airport from the travel desk of Amphitrion Holidays in the Arrivals Hall between doors 2&3. They are cash only, but there is a bank machine right there.

To get from the airport to the ferry take the Airport Express (X96) bus from the airport to the ferry port at Piraeus (if this is the port you are using). It departs every 30 minutes or so from outside door 5 on the Arrivals level. Tickets can be bought from the stand right outside the door for €5 each. The ride takes about an hour if I remember correctly.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 01:11 AM

Sorry, it was the 16:55 ferry to Naxos (stopped in Paros).

You will easily be able to buy ferry tickets when you are on Paros - just head to one of the many travel places - you will see them everywhere if it is anything like Naxos.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 02:17 AM

You don't say when you are travelling, but in most cases it's safe to wait until arriving in Greece to buy your ferry tickets. Two exceptions are August, and Greek public holiday weekends, e.g. Greek Easter (Apr 15th in 2012) and Pentecost (Jun 1-4). In those cases I would recommend booking in advance over the internet, but it's far too early to do that for next year.

As jamikins wrote, you can buy your ferry tickets at Amphitrion Holidays in the airport arrivals hall. It is right across the street from Sofitel, and open 24/7. Buy the tickets the evening before you fly off to Keffalonia and you won't have to worry about it upon your return to Athens.

Now I am going to recommend you forget about fast ferries and go instead on the spanking new Blue Star Delos, which just started service on the Piraeus - Paros - Santorini route this month. It is a huge car ferry, far more comfortable than the fast boats, and takes only about an hour longer to get to Paros. The ferry runs every day at 7:25 am, and is the same one you should take from Paros to Santorini.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 02:32 AM

And yes, you can buy your tickets for Paros - Santorini when you get to Paros. Lot's of people disembark at Paros, so the ferry is never full on the leg to Naxos and Santorini.

As jamikins wrote, the X96 bus is the best means of getting to Piraeus as long as you can handle walking about a block with your luggage to the ferry. Don't forget to validate the bus ticket in the little machine on the bus. The ride takes just over an hour in light early morning traffic.

One hint: you can board the early morning ferry an hour before sailing, allowing you to find a seat and relax while waiting for departure. If you spend an extra €4 you can get a reserved air seat. With standard economy class tickets seating is first come first served.

Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advices, sorry we will return to Athens from Kefallonia on 3 June and were planning to go to Paros on 4 June.

Heimdall, you mentioned Pentecost happening 1-4 June. Do you think the Bus and Ferry will be operating on 4 June?

Also if anyone has any accommodation recommendations for either Paros or Santorini (we are a 50 year old couple so not really into the night scene but love a water view and a handy location.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 11:51 AM

All buses and ferries will be operating on Pentecost weekend, as this is a busy travel period for Greeks. If you are travelling out to Paros on Monday, June 4th, that won't be a problem, since most Greeks will be returning to the mainland that day. You will be going against the flow, so there will be empty seats on the ferries, but still recommend you buy your Piraeus - Paros tickets when you are at Sofitel the night before your flight to Kefallonia.

The bus X96 from Athens Airport to Piraeus leaves about every 20 minutes, and will be running as usual that day.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM

Bus and Ferry will be operating, plus on the 4th of June most people will be returning back to Athens, as Monday will be the last day of the long weekend.
Monday the 4th of June is a bank holiday in Greece, but all shops , restaurants will be open.... it is affecting more the public sector.
Santorini is a unique island i am sure you have seen pictures of the caldera with the fabulous view already...
My favorite place to stay is Oia, located in the north of the island. This is where most pictures of Santorini with the white churches and nice houses have been taken.
There are lots of small hotels and plenty of cafes and restaurants in Oia, however as this is the cliffside of the island, you won't be near a beach...You will have to go to the other , flat part of the island or to the south for that.

Paros has many nice beaches and little villages, Naousa is my favorite village to stay, while others love Parikia , which is the main village.
While on Paros don't forget to visit Antiparos, a nearby small but extremely beatiful island, only a stones throw away..
This is where Tom Hanks owns a house........

For hotels on both islands have a look at www.booking.com ,
they offer a huge variety.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM

I spend up to a month a year on Antiparos, and agree with clausar that it is well worth a visit. It's only 30 minutes from Parikia, has some good beaches, and an interesting main town. Many people come to Antiparos to visit the stalactite cave. Several companies offer round-island boat trips, which include BBQ lunches and stops for swims on deserted beaches. People have mentioned that the round-island trip was the highlight of their visit to Paros.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, am looking forward to having the opportunity to follow your suggestions.

I have just tried to book overnight into the Sofitel Airport but it is fully booked - unless I pay a lot of $. We will fly into Athens late evening 2250 hrs and the following day Monday 4 June want to get the 7.25 am ferry to Paros that was mentioned, I was going to book the Holiday Inn would I be able to get to the Ferry okay from there on that X96 Bus?

Thanks again.
Donna
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:47 AM

The X96 starts at the airport so you would need to take the shuttle bus back to the airport and find the right Arrivals door - the bus is right outside. The holiday inn website says they offer a shuttle service and it takes 10 mins to get to the airport.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

I can't get into the Holiday Inn either now on 3 June.....any suggestions of where we should stay considering we arrive at the airport at 2250hrs and want to catch the ferry to Paros first thing the next morning?
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 03:37 AM

You may want to check this place: http://www.perishotelapt.gr/
Of course nothing to compare with Sofitel or Holiday Inn, this is a spartan family run B&B in Loutsa (Artemida), a small town about 15 minutes from the airport. Peris offers transfers from/to the airport uppon request.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 03:39 AM

PS: Why not taking X96 to Piraeus uppon arrival and spend night in Piraeus? There are a few decent hotels around to spend a night before taking the ferry...
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 03:59 AM

If you can bear to sit around the airport that long, consider staying there until around 4:30 - 5:00 am, then take the X96 bus to Piraeus. There are cafes that stay open overnight, and an interesting little museum in the upper level of the departure lounge. If you check into a hotel you will get only a few hours sleep anyway. Early morning ferries allow passengers to board up to a hour before departure, so if you book an air seat you can go on board around 6:30 am and rest while the ship is still quiet.

Sofitel is expensive, but great for passengers catching early morning flights. I have stayed there a couple times myself. If you want to stay in a hotel, take mariha's suggestion and find somewhere in Piraeus. The hotels just off the docks are nothing to write home about, but there are other good ones nearby.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 09:11 AM

Try www.booking.com
The Holidays Inn Athens Airport is selling rooms for the night of the 3rd of June, and yes they do have a complimentary shuttle bus from/to the airport which is only a few km away.
Just keep in mind when booking this hotel, that you will be in the middle of nowhere, on the highway that connects the Airport with Athens. There is only a gas station next to the airport and a small fast food shop. but still the location is convenient.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, just want to check does X96 run late at night?
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM

It does, here's the link to the official website of OASA ( Athens Urban Transport Organization) and the time table of X96

http://www.oasa.gr/xmap.php?id=px96&lang=en