Barcelona- Best Areas to Stay??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so now that I've managed to book my flight where should i stay?? I found many apartments that are in my price range but not sure if they are cheap because they are in a not-so-nice area. Out of these which is the best to stay in? Catalunya, Eixample, La Rava? Or is there an area that is better than these??

I don't mind staying in a hotel but we will be there New Years eve and their prices for just that day are ridiculous! I am from US and meeting my boyfriend in Barcelona (he is from UK) we want somewhere realxing, not too noisy but easy to walk to nearby landmarks.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks so much in advance!

Rosie
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM

Not La Raval by any means - much of it is dumpy and much of it is dicey. There are some decent areas and some nice restaurants, but you need to KNOW Barcelona to find them and those are a bit away from Placa Catalunya, which is the heart of the city.

If you want to be within walking distance of many major sites (not all, Barcelona has about the same population as Philadelphia so it's a sizable city), the easiest area is within or near the area formed by connecting the Placa Catalunya,Tetuan, Verdaguer and Diagonal metro stations (just check the city map). Stretching the "bottom" of the box to Universitat will also net a good location.

Also the Barri Gotic within a few blocks of the Barcelona Cathedral (this is NOT the Sagrada Familia) would be a good central location - this is generally the area between Urquinanoa, Jaume I, Liceu and Placa Catalunya Metro stations.

If seeking an apartment, find the APARTUR website. It lists various Barcelona tourist apartment rental agencies - just go shopping. Note that many agencies want cash deposits of 200-400 Euros, which they refund on the day you leave the apartment if you haven't trashed the place. If you're returning to the US, and your S.O. to the UK after Barcelona, this can be an inconvenient arrangement because you'll have 200-400E of cash you don't need, and would have to exchange it (at bad rates) or hold it for the future. We used www.barcelonastuff.com precisely because they accepted a credit card deposit.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanka BigRuss for the info! I went ahead and booked an apartment through airbnb.com because I have had success with them in the past and if a deposit is needed you can do it on a credit card as well. After sifting through dozens (and dozens) of places I finalized one in Carrer Del Portal Nou, Barcelona, Cataluña It is a little east of where I would like but I got such a good rate. Very close to a metro station as well.

You think I made a good choice??

Here is the location/pics:
http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/71582#photos

Rosie
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM

betterbidding.com Las Ramblas Barceloneta my fav.

eurocheapo.com/barcelona

barcelona30.com

www.centripointhostel.com perfectly located

Gaudi Building. Good price point will be lively for NYE
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 12:42 PM

I think the location is pretty good. We walked from the Arc de Triomphe to the southern edge of the Born district and back to our apt between the Cathedral and Las Ramblas all in a half day with two hobbits in tow.

Be prepared, though, because 40m sq is about 440 square feet. That's a small apartment (you're really using it for overnight stay, not for hanging out, so this is not that big an issue).

Personally I don't trust airbnb but this one SEEMS decent. A LOT of folks who use this board like airbnb, so I think I'm a minority opinion.

The websites qwovadis touts are dominated by hostels and cheap hotels. You get more for your money at an apt. I'm certain that the last link qwovadis supplied is wrong considering the place is called CentriC Point Hostel.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Yea the apartment is pretty small, but luckily we won't be spending too much time there and more time sight seeing. I always prepare myself to expect it to be smaller than the pictures show!

Have you been there during New Years? What are the must sees? After my jet lag coma I kinda want a plan of action. We are looking for romance and relaxation. Nice restaurants, drinks on balconies, sight seeing strolls that sort of thing.

Thanks sooooo much for your input!!!