London hotel help for a family of 3

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cousins of mine will be visiting their daughter in London next April while she's studying there. According to the map, her rooms are near the Zetter hotel (EC1), the former Playboy Club, on Clerkenwell Rd. Wondered if anyone knew it or had stayed there? The Chancery Court Hotel is also not far and I know it used to be a favorite on the forum, but recent reviews on tripadvisor suggest it needs updating to warrant the price. I wonder whether either of these would be comfortable for a family of 3 with a teen son. The Rookery is also nearby but my recollection is it's best for couples. I also found the Market View Apartments on 15 West Smithfield. Any one know it?

What are the popular hotels for families these days? What about nice apartments? Any up to date help would be greatly appreciated. It's been
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 05:07 AM

check out TravelLodges, all over London and for the price modern and with all the accouterments for teens like WIFI, Internet, etc. And you can nab some nifty discounts if act in advance often.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 05:09 AM

New Travelodge® Website | Travelodge.com
www.travelodge.com
The Official Site is New & Improved Book Direct - Best

Travelodge - £12 Hotel Room Sale - Cheap hotels in the UK & Ireland
www.travelodge.co.uk/The Travelodge £12 Room sale is now on! 100000 hotel rooms in UK & Ireland available for £12 per night. Search and book your stay now!
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Zetter is not far from the Faringdon tube/rail stations and only one stop from Kings Cross so pretty convenient for transport. I haven't stayed there but if it is close the daughter's accommodations, then it would be a perfectly fine choice.

Where more specifically is the daughter staying? Because a few blocks one way or the other could make a different hotel more convenient . . .
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Crawford Passage.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM

How long will they be in London? Consider an apartment if 5+ nights - far more comfortable than a hotel. And I'd trust a reputable London apartment rental agency for quality more than Travelodge (I'm wondering if PalenQ gets a cut of this action - s/he always shills for rail travel and Travelodge).
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Dolphin House is a wonderfully quiet spot.The tranquillity is all the more surprising given its close proximity to Victoria, making it convenient for Westminster and ...

http://www.londontown.com/hotels/inf...n_house/154737

my fav serviced apartments beats hotel good pricepoint.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Dolphin house is on the complete opposite side of London from where the OP's cousin wants to stay and would require two tube transfers so not very practical, to say the least. (I've stayed at Dolphin Hose several times and it is fine -- but I only recommend it when it fits the criteria.)

A flat would be good of course But the Zetter is a good location if they want a hotel - less than 1/2 a mile from Crawford Passage.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

If anyone can suggest an apt. rental near this or a good agent, that would be fine. Is the Smithfield Market still a meat market making a rental in that Market View building not desirable?
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 10:49 AM

A few things
Chancery Court is undergoing major renovations throughout next year so it MAY be a good deal or it may be noisy. Family friends stay there every year and like it, even tho some of the rooms are showing their age. Staff is very good and there are often deals. I personally stay away form hotels getting renovated as they cant help being very noisy.

Don't know the zetter hotel but it seems a boutique type of place, got good reviews on TA.

The Smithfield is still a meat market, don't know if that would affect the apt, smells etc. But the Market View is owned/managed by Bridge Street Apts which has places all over London.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 03:32 PM

I'm wondering if qwo has a cut and paste for certain threads saved on his/her computer. Like for London lodging - PASTE DOLPHIN HOUSE RECO.

As for the OP's request, if you can't find an apt you like, there's a Citadine's in the area and that's a chain of "apartment" hotels - they have some one-bedroom suites at the Barbican location.