First Time to Europe, Important Question

Dec 11th, 2002, 10:37 AM
ANON

First Time to Europe, Important Question

My first trip coming up in March. I have one question that I want a brutally honest answer to. Is it true that Europeans (mainly French, as I will be in France, Germany, and Austria)really dislike and are rude to "plus" size women? I am large, but neatly dressed, and overall present a fairly pleasant appearance. Will I be treated poorly by the French?

Dec 11th, 2002, 10:39 AM
honest

Yes, you will be stared at by the French. They really do not like fat people very much, and will be likely to give you rude treatment. If you are really big, like a 300 pounder, and short as well, be prepated to be really humiliated. You will be miserable.

Dec 11th, 2002, 10:42 AM
ms manners

Just do not ask for seconds or for two chairs to support you in the cafes and you should be ok

Dec 11th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Belinda

No. There are lots of plus size people in Europe. The people here who say there aren't are frankly wrong. If you are neat and pleasant nobody will treat you rudely.

Dec 11th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Lesli

Anon -

I think you'll be just fine if you are a neatly dressed, polite "plus" sized person. If you observe the French custom of saying "Bonjour/merci/au revior Madame/Monsieur," you will most likely be treated with at least as much courtesy as a sloppily dressed, slim, but rude American who fails to do so.

If you are truly enormous or require special accomodations, you may receive a few sidelong glances. But I'd be surprised if you were treated in an overtly rude manner.

Have a wonderful trip.

Dec 11th, 2002, 11:53 AM
elaine

Hi
I agree with the responses above that are helpful. First, there is no one response or attitude that every French, German, or Austrian person will display.
People vary within each country, some are rude, most aren't. Just like on this message board.

Being neatly dressed, and having a polite attitude and a smile are the ways to be respected in return imo.
Parisians can be a little reserved, most don't want to be your best friend, but I have rarely encountered anyone rude.

Dec 11th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Perch

I agree with above posters. However round you may be, try to be nice and neat and behave likewise. People will treat you fairly, at least most people I know do. A message from France.

Dec 11th, 2002, 12:15 PM
mpprh

Hi

You should be OK.

Its unlikely you will be as fat and unpleasant as my French mother in law !

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Dec 11th, 2002, 12:22 PM
buzzee

Dear Anon:
The bitter truth, the woman at the Galleries Lafayette shook her head and tsk tsked me when I asked for a slip in my size (in american I am a 16w). Bear in mind that she probably was 200lbs and 5 feet tall herself.

Several taxis wouldn't pick me and my friend up at the train station as he is a 300pounder himself and he had huge luggage! We waited for about 30 minutes before a man with a station wagon stopped.

People stared at my friend in Italy but that is common for Italians anyway. Plus he was wearing shorts in major cities which was probably the wrong thing to do as the Italians dress so divinely.

Those were the only problems we had, however, do note that Galleries Lafayette in Paris does carry plus sizes and I have seen plenty plus size women in Europe so they are shopping somewhere! German men tend to like women of size so be prepared to be checked out.

Just remember that Americans tend to dress very casually and usually very badly so the better you look the better you blend in with the populace.If you can, get on a walking program before you go so you can spend lots of time on your feet and not be in agony!

Have a fun time!

Dec 11th, 2002, 12:41 PM
scigirl

You'll be fine! Contrary to popular perception - the rate of overweight and obesity in Europe is only slightly lower than that in the U.S.A. Most important, regardless of size - be polite, learn a few French words, and enjoy your trip. Rude people can be found in every country - so if you do encounter someone rude enough to comment on/stare or whatever - remember that is one individual, not a reflection of the entire country.

Dec 11th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Mike

Mon femme is a size 16 and hasn't been hasseled in Europe (or Asia for that matter) because of her size. I think people react to us more because of how we are dressed rather than our size. Think of how you react (or most of us anyway)to others and why. Europeans aren't really that different. I wouldn't worry. M.

Dec 11th, 2002, 04:44 PM
xx

or more about how we act?

And the Germans and Austrians can beat you size wise anytime.They are big people.

Dec 11th, 2002, 08:13 PM
xxx

The French are rude to everyone. Who cares what they like?

Dec 11th, 2002, 08:42 PM
mike

I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Everyone else has hit the nail on the head and it holds true for anyone in a foreign country. Be open to their culture, TRY to learn some of the language and be polite. Big, small or in between if you stick to that it won't make a difference. Rude people are rude where ever you go. But most people (wherever you go) appreciate when you appreciate them. Have a blast!!!

mike

Dec 11th, 2002, 09:14 PM
mike

I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Everyone else has hit the nail on the head and it holds true for anyone in a foreign country. Be open to their culture, TRY to learn some of the language and be polite. Big, small or in between if you stick to that it won't make a difference. Rude people are rude where ever you go. But most people (wherever you go) appreciate when you appreciate them. Have a blast!!!

mike