Recent Polls in Europe about Americans.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read a rather disturbing article in the Sun-Sentinal about Europe's attitude towards Americans. The article stated that more than half the people of France, Germany, and Spain, for the first time since being polled, have negative feelings towards Americans, not just the government. This could put a cabash on our some of our trips to Europe according to my DH. Anyone else have similar feelings?
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 05:28 AM

I'm English and on the whole the French can't stand us. Doesn't stop millions of us going there every year though - or them accepting our money along the way.

To be blunt, don't be so ridiculous.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Just hang around the 1/2 that likes us and ignore those who don't.

I didn't feel any negative attitudes on my recent trip to Italy.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:02 AM

We were in MAdrid right after the Atocha bombings. The people could not have been nicer.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Judy, Tallulah was a little blunt (Tallulah, you DO seem to be in a bad mood today, Xmas festivities taking their toll - they sure are for me), BUT she does have a point.

It probably freaks you out because as an American, you're not used to the rivalries and animosities that we have historically had between nations in Europe. It's true, apparently, the French have hated us for 1000 years (at least), and we hate them, apparently, but we British constitute France's biggest population of tourists, and we survive unscathed. Also, the Scots, Irish and welsh hate us English, but it doesn't top us all living, working and holidaying quite happily in each other's countries.

I'm often rather sceptical of these kinds of surveys - the results are always skewed by how the questions are posed. For instance, if the survey asked " has the recent election result in the US damaged your opinion of Americans", then a lot of Europeans may say yes, but it doesn't mean they personally hate you. If the survey asked "are Americans bad people", the result would probably be very different.

"Negative feelings" is a very vague term, and it certainly doesn't mean Americans are universally and personally hated.

It would be very sad, and misplaced I feel, if you let this one article affect your holiday plans.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:07 AM

If your DH really feels that way then that's the way it is.

Are you hoping to change his mind if you find the majority of folks who respond to your post disagree?

Personally, this sort of information won't stop me from going to Europe both next February and next August.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Jeez, their polling techniques must be far superior to ours, to be able to poll <i>every</i> citizen of all those countries, to know that &quot;more than half the people&quot; had this opinion.
I sure got lucky in France this past October, must have walked on the 'safe' side of the street. Oh, that's right that was <i>before</i> the election. But we've been there 10 times, maybe we met the <i>other</i> half when Clinton was in office. It's so confusing.

I'd much rather take my trip and see what 'treatment' I get for myself, than to decide according to some newspaper article (especially since their editorial board supported Kerry).
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-editkgkerryoct17.story
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:20 AM

I have found where Europeans use to not care about US citizens position's on the world, they certainly kept it to themselves 98% of the time that they did not like a lot of the US government positions. The feeling has changed as when you are talking to them now, they either try to feel you out on if you support certain government initiatives or try to get a feel from your actions/thoughts on what is happening in the US and certain changes. I have never had a problem in France (in fact, the two biggest jerks I have seen in France were both Americans in 2 seperate incidents). After 9-11, I did have a somewhat scary moment in Poland in a bar as there were 2 guys who made me feel very uncomfortable talking about Osama and our president. Of course, one of them was a member of the Yugoslavian army and I had been talking to his girlfriend in English for 2 hours, (and we really did hit it off) which he did not understand or appreciate.......
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:21 AM

Kate, yes you're right and you did elaborate on my point in a somewhat more pleasant way than I managed!

(Tuesday hangovers are never a good thing. And have another party tonight so watch out for my posts tomorrow!!)
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does absolutely everyone in your city like your husband? He must really be a likeable guy. Imagine, no one in the entire town thinks he's not the most wonderful, amazing person possible. Even those whom he hasn't met.

Statistically speaking, 50% of any population will feel less favorable about anything, and 50% will feel more favorable. And any one of those people has an average feeling about any specific thing, and 50% of the time they will more favorable than average about it, and 50% of the time they'll feel less average about it.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For anyone interested in reading the article Judyrem is taking about

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nat...,7425613.story

Here's another article which lists (some of) the questions posed to US citizens by The Associated Press-Ipsos pollsters:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...132EST0404.DTL

I'd be interested in seeing the entire poll contents and its results by country without the inevitable political bickering.

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

I hear you all...very clearly. And Kate as usual. is spot on ;-). It is not me...I could give a petunski, but the falling dollar(of course the falling dollar affects almost ALL of Europe ;-)) and &quot;some&quot; negative feelings have made him a tad reluctant to go to those countries. He loves the UK and Italy and wants to do Eastern Europe, Netherlands Switzerland, Austria. What can I say, he was red and I was blue and never the twain shall meet . But I want to go to France...big time!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Bonjour Judyrem,

If their definition of &quot;negative feelings&quot; is &quot;what in the world did American voters think when they voted for Bush again?&quot;, they are right, this is what more than 50% of Europeans are asking themselves. *

However, it looks like they won't welcome American tourists, even those who didn't vote according to their preference, with pitchforks and torches, and you and your husband can rest assured you still have a fair chance of having a good time here and even return alive ;-)

* From what I've read and heard,it also seems to be what about 1/2 of the American voters think of the other half ;-)
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks obxgirl for bringing up that story .
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Judyrem, from the last two elections it's become obvious that the country is divided just about 50-50 in very strong ways. So if we all are feeling so alienated from each other then it's not surprising that others will be picking sides as well. And when you throw in a global war, there's another bit of something to divide us from each other and from other countries.

As for feelings one way or the other of being accepted and welcomed in Europe, I guess it would depend on how you feel about the current administration and its policies, which seems to be what we're being criticized for, according to the article. I, for one, would feel very much among friends, it sounds like.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have grown so BORED with this kind of thread, week in and week out.

Sorry Judy, didn't mean to be so blunt...
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:17 AM

It is unfortunate that the recent political &quot;hype&quot; perpetrated by the fear mongers (&quot;those Europeans really hate us, particular the French) has apparently affected your DH.

Well, tell him you'll be glad to go on your own (and mean it for a change) and I somehow suspect his political &quot;misgivings&quot; will suddenly evaporate. Let hims stay home and cowerina corner if he wants to..his loss, not yours. Go, Girl!!!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Even if some Europeans dislike America's political actions, any European with half a brain can figure out that most tourists, travellers, and expats are the ones with a broader view of the world. Thus, they have a better chance of getting along with those of us who actually DO venture over there, than with some dude who only watches pictures of the rest of the world on his TV. A well-rounded, intelligent human being approaches something foreign with an open mind. It is natural to feel a bit apprehensive,at first, but taking the risk to get to know someone/something different is how a society progresses &amp; grows.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 08:01 AM

This negative view of Americans must be interpreted with the proper perspective. Europeans are some of the most nationalistic and conformist creatures on the planet and are generally intolerant of anyone that is different. The French, in particular, don't like anyone - the English, the Germans, not even the obscure and irrelevant Belgians. A mild contempt for foreigners is required by French law. The French don't even like one another that much, but this is not legally mandated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -