One thing I learned in Europe

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing I learned in Europe

We tourists are exposed to different ways of doing things, new foods, unfamiliar behavior, etc. Did anything you experienced change your life back home? I now at least taste everything put before me.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:13 AM

"We"? "Back home"?

I have lived all my life in Europe.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM

Europeans put their family first and their jobs second.

They value quality over quantity.

Good wine doesn't have to be expensive.

I have expanded my repetoire of cheese from Wisconsin Cheddar and Kraft American slices to: Livarot, Camenbert, Pont L'Eveque, Pecorino, Gouda, Edam, Epoisse, to name a few. My doctor is not pleased with this discovery.

I always thought the world envied us Americans and wished they could live here, but alas, that is a myth. They have a wonderful quality of life and wouldn't give that up for our lifestyle here.

My neighbor from Switzerland described America as a throw away society. Things aren't built to last and when you get tired of a building you tear it down. In Europe they value their past. I remember standing in front of a building and marveling that it was built before 1492. It was still a viable building and was in Rothenburg, GR.

I discovered an appreciation for art and artist that I never had before.

My biggest discovery was the price the American soldiers paid in World War II. How devastating Normandy was and how little I seemed to know about it. Thank you veterans, you will always be in my prayers.

I learned that I only spoke English and Spanish and wished I could speak more different languages.

I also learned that when in the U.S. if a person speaking French should ask directions in their language how put off we seem to be. After all this is America. But in France we are offended when the French don't understand our English in a French speaking country.

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:12 AM

One thing I learned in Europe is not to generalize about what "Europeans" are really like.

Quality over quantity? Guess that explains why all those palaces you see only have a few pieces of furniture and art works.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:23 AM

Dukey, I think she's talking about modern life...not the old palaces where they sure wanted big quantities of everything to show how powerful they were LOL
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM

Quality over quantity.

I was refering mainly to wonderful homemade food, with fresh seasonal products, not packaged items off a shelf from a local grocery store; and the everyday life of an individual.

We all know the excesses of Europe and the Church, but I was staying away from that.

I have enough european friends and familiarity with europe to feel comfortable saying without generalizing that europeans don't envy us.

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM

eurogals, I couldn't have said it better..I agree 100% with you.