Search

First time overseas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time overseas

Hello
I would like to travel to Germany this summer to visit my daughter and grandchildren. I believe the name of the town they will be in is
Grafenwoehr. What airport is closest, if she couldn't pick me up, how would I get from the airport to her town? I have never been out of the U.S. and any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
ira

Hi M,

Wouldn't it be better to ask your daughter how to get to her town from the US?

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Grafenwoehr is a huge American military base. For what it's worth, Elvis Presley served there.

Your best bet is to fly into Frankfurt airport; you can take a train directly from the airport to Nuremberg, the closest town to Grafenwoehr. I'm sure she'd pick you up there.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. My daughter actually lives in Schweinfurt right now. She will be moving this spring, so she's never been to Grafenwoehr. One more question...do you know the most economical time to travel? I was thinking late summer. Would you advise looking for flights now or waiting to see if there is a sale later on?
Again thank you for your help.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Late summer is the least economical time to travel. That's high season. It's expensive these days no matter when you go, but winter would probably be the least expensive, with late fall and early spring being next best.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Late summer is the absolutely most expensive time to fly. Fares can often be twice as high in August as in Mar/April or Oct/Nov. And in winter fares will usually be even less.

If you want to go in the warmer months - May/June can be several hundred $ less than August - especially if you hit a fare sale.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you've never been to Europe, I'd suggest you go in summer if you POSSIBLY afford it at all. Since it's apt to be the only time you ever go, why go during weather as bleak as the the northern US? Enjoy Europe during its best time, not its worst time. The $500 airfare difference between hi and lo season isn't THAT much. Enjoy this trip to its maximum; not its minimum. You'll see more of the charm of Europe in the spring/summer/fall.

Schweinfurt is, if my memory is correct, the town where Nazi ball bearing plants were...got flattened in bombing raids, so the 'old' buildings you'll see aren't as old as they look.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:23 AM

"I have never been out of the U.S."

Be sure to apply for your passport!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Travel when there are no holidays and the students are in school for the best airfare. Early May, Late September would be good.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I always thought October would be one of the more expensive times to travel? The weather should still be nice late September, shouldn't it?
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Late May/June and September/early October are IMHO the best seasons to travel in Germany both weather-wise and crowd-wise.

Schweinfurt and Grafenwöhr are in Franconia - my favourite region in the whole country for travelling. Franconia (Franken to us), the Northern part of Bavaria, is not as overrun as Southern Bavaria but full of interesting places, lovely old towns and pretty landscapes. I hope you'll have the chance to travel a bit. There is no need for long-distance trips, the region could keep you busy for weeks. Let me mention Würzburg, Bamberg, Nürnberg, Regensburg, Coburg, Bayreuth, but also the hills of the so-called Franconian Switzerland around Pottenstein and Gößweinstein, the wine villages in the Main valley, baroque palaces like Pommersfelden and Veitshöchheim, the marvelous churches of Vierzehnheiligen and Banz near Lichtenfels. Franken is both wine and beer country, so you'll find unique drinks no matter what you prefer.

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QUOKKA's comments are on the mark!!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:43 PM

I agree with the fall/spring recs. Summer can be hot, and air condioning is extremely rare, while winters can be gray and wet. We have lovely spring and fall seasons here, defintely the best time to visit.

Have a great trip!