Frankfurt Airport

Search

Frankfurt Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankfurt Airport

Have a midmorning flight (11am)from Frankfurt back to States. Will be in Strausberg and was thinking it was better to travel to Frankfurt the night before and stay @ airport. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 02:16 PM

For transatlantic flights, you need to check in at least 2.5- 3 hours prior to departure, so that would mean that you should be at the airport by 8:30am. A few things to consider:

Are you willing to get up before the chickens to drive (??) to the airport?
Have you traveled (if by car?) this route before, meaning, you won't get lost on the way to the airport?

Best bet it to get to Frankfurt the night before, stay at an aiport hotel, have a nice dinner and get some rest. Plus, you can wake up at a decent hour, and then head over to chek-in! You will have a long day ahead the following day.

Good luck!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 02:32 PM

we were just not too far from this area. we had to be at airprot at 11 a.m in HHN, which was about 90 min. from mainz..
the best decision i made this trip was to NOT sleep in mainz as i had planned.. but to go the night before to a quaint town near HHN.

on the way we hit fog, and a bit of rain.

i was so glad this was not the morning of the flight.

seems stressful to me to try to do it same morning. doesn´t leave much room for error.

mainz is not far from frankfurt main airport. if you prefer a smaller city.. it is well connected by train to the airport in just 20 minutes or so.

if you prefer to sleep near airport itself you might try www.priceline.com and name your own price after reading up at www. betterbidding.com
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:03 PM

Airport has a Sheraton Hotel attached. Above train station quick trip to downtown, if you get in early.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:39 PM

small, family run hotel in nearby Kelsterbach, called Hotel Tanne, which I have used numerous times.
Clean, wake up calls, they will arrange a cab for the 5 min ride to the terminal.
I think they have a website
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM

Sheraton hotel at the airport is convenient, but $$$.

Once, when I had an early afternoon flight out of Frankfurt, I stayed in a town in the Black Forest, about 45 minutes from Karlsruhe. That worked well then, but I think your timing is a little too tight to stay there. I have known of people with a flight at about your time who have made it to the airport on time from Bacharach.

My recommendation is that you stay at the Hotel Königshof (www.hotel-koenigshof-mainz.de), which is right across the Bahnhofplatz from the station in Mainz. If you leave Mainz on the 8:02 S-Bahn, you can arrive in the Regionalbahnhof, which is underground right in front of Terminal 1 of FRA, at 8:29. The trip will cost €3,55.

Unless there is a big event in Mainz, a single room at Königshof on a weekend (Fr-Mo) is €55; a double room is €69. Weekdays (Tu-Th) are a little more. That includes breakfast.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM
DAX

I second Larry's recomendation to stay in Mainz and return your car there as you can take the S bahn from Mainz into the airport. Alternatively staying in downtown Frankfurt is better than at the airport so that you can enjoy a good restaurant the night before. Frankfurt is of course closer to the Airport than Mainz. The check in requirement time is still 2 hours before and if you don't have a rental car to return, you can simply arrive at the airport at 9AM as I have done so every single time and never had a problem.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:18 AM

My wife an I are arriving late to the Frankfurt airport on a flight from Corfu and are flying out the next morning at 10:55. I decided to try to find something close to the airport and have booked a room at the Intercity Airport, which is only "a few kilometers away" from the airport. The cost is 66 Euros.

I think I found this by going to the Frankfurt Airport web site and doing a search on a hotel link I found there. The booking was done through GTAHotels, a company I am not familiar with. We hope this works.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:35 AM
Jed

We stayed at a hotel at the Frankfort airport for a morning flight. It was relaxing not to worry about getting to the airport on time.

Seems to me that if you want to enjoy a good restaurant in town the night before, then staying at an airport hotel, and taking the train to the restaurant and back at night would work. It would save carrying your luggage into town.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:48 AM

Here is the airport hotel link:

http://www.airport-travelnet.de/home..._en_index.html
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM

There is also an InterCity Hotel directly across the street from the main train station in Frankfurt. I've stayed there several times. You get a "free" ticket to ride the trams and trains. That means that your short trip to the FRA airport the next morning is free!! Rates are reasonable at InterCity. 90 euros. Breakfast buffet is included, and it is really quite nice.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:37 AM

If you stay close to the airport you may consider checking-in the evening before. The Lufthansa check-in is from 6 to 9 p.m., and usually there are very short if any lines. You will get your boarding passes and have a very relaxed time the next morning.

Here a list of airport hotels with shuttle service (with distance to airport):

- Sheraton (0 km)
- Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt (1 km)
- InterCity Hotel Frankfurt Airport (4 km)
- NH Frankfurt-Airport (5 km)
- Mercure (Novotel) Hotel Frankfurt Airport (5 km)

The InterCity, NH and Mercure should be in the 110 Euro-range, the Steigenberger should be around 160 Euros. The Sheraton is more expensive (except on weekends) but it is in the airport building and thus VERY convenient (you can check in the morning and then have breakfast with your boarding pass in pocket).
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:54 AM

Another alternative: Best Western has a hotel, Atrium, in Rüsselsheim, which is the last stop before the airport on the S-Bahn from Mainz. During the week they are somewhat expensive, although less than the Sharaton, because they cater to businessmen visiting the nearby Opal plant, but on the weekends, their rates are quite low (€87 for a double WITH breakfast).

It doesn't appear that they have a shuttle to the airport, but it is just a five minute walk to the S-Bahn station and an 11 minute trip from there (€2,20 pP).

Since you will have time to eat breakfast at any of these hotels before going to the airport, pay attention to whether or not they include breakfast. Breakfast could easily add €5-10 per person to the cost.

I only mention the Atrium since you might want to be closer. I once booked a room there for an early flight out, but found a better rate in Mainz and cancelled Atrium.

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
DAX

If you decide to stay in Russelsheim and are somewhat intrigued by the possibility of touring the new Opel factory tour called "Opel Live!". Here's a slice of what Russelsheim has to offer during your stay.

http://www.corporatetrivia.com/archi...many/adam.html
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM

No one seems to have mentioned the Ibis Hotel at Frankfurt airport. There is a free shuttle to and from the hotel, and the room cost €79 per night.