Reload this Page >

first time in London

Search

first time in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Chris

first time in London

Visiting London for the first time later this fall. Any suggestions on where to stay? Something centrally located (near attractions, restaurants, etc.). Thanks.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Nancy

My first stay was in the Victoria Station area and the second in Chelsea/So. Ken. I would opt for Victoria the next time as there was more activity. However, the tube takes you everywhere very easily. These are a couple of restaurants that I really like in the Victoria area:<BR>Bumbles, Buckingham Palace Rd at Bressendon Place<BR>Carriages ? kitty-corner from Bumbles<BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Chris

Thanks Nancy, I will check them out.<BR><BR>doResearch: It never fails. On every message board there's at least one person who posts this kind of response. This is person is always 100% sure they're being original and clever. That's what these boards are here for, doResearch. If that kind of thing bothers you, you should probably stop using them. You're going to be banging out angry messages for the rest of your life.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:35 PM
April

Chris, think about it. You don't offer a budget, your interests, how many of you are traveling, or needs such as elevator, air conditioning, what "attractions" means to you (museums? libraries? shopping? arcades?). <BR><BR>You didn't really expect to come on a "volunteer" site and ask something as vague as "later this fall" "centrally located" and expect people to offer concrete responses, did you?<BR><BR>doresearch was not snide or rude, but direct. And right. Try to narrow your question or offer more information and we'll all be happy to help. <BR><BR>You're right that "that's what these message boards are here for" and that's also why there is a cache of responses already given. You're not just here to ask people to spend time figuring out what you really want, but to tap into the recommendations made in the past. Do a search of "London Hotels" "London Museums" "London Restaurants," etc.<BR><BR>I'll get you started--my favorite area to stay is South Kensington. Do a word search for that.<BR><BR>And apologize to doresearch.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:56 PM
x

Chris<BR>I topped two threads titled first time in london, for you.I think that would be a good place for you to start.you must have some idea about what you might want to do or see.read these threads, then try asking more specific questions.<BR>typing london or first time in london into the text search box will give you plenty of stuff to "research".<BR>that is if you want to do any of this yourself.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:56 AM
aj

Chris,<BR><BR>We stayed at the Fielding House Hotel in the Covent Garden area last May. It is a budget hotel but the room was nice and very clean. We love the Covent Garden and it is convenient to the Tube and other attractions in the area. There are several good restaurants in the area and just across the street from the Opera House and close to theaters. Have a wonderful time in London. There are some great pubs in the Covent Garden area and some open markets. I wish that I were there now.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:27 AM
bettyk

Chris, we also stayed in the Victoria Station area in May and really found it convenient. Unfortunately, (for Nancy), Bumbles is no longer open, but we liked the Duke of York (upstairs) and Bella Pasta restaurants. There was also a Sainsbury's for picking up water, drinks, etc., as well as many other places to eat. Couple of neat pubs in that area too.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Shar

Depends on your budget. We have stayed at South Kensington at the Pulham HOtel and loved it. Great neighborhood, great restaurants, 1 blk to the tube, etc. but it is expensive. OUr last trip we rented a lovely flat in the mayfair district which was very convenient and great to have the extra room for the same price as a good hotel. Good luck.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Jim

I like the Marble Arch area. The best advice I can give you is start looking on the web for hotels and when you find one that looks good make sure it is very close to a tube stop. The public transportation in London is the best I have every encountered and will get you to (or near) all the tourist attractions in downtown.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Geez

CHRIS - DO SOME RESEARCH, and quit being such a lazy sod! If 30 people offer suggestions they will be 30+ different hotels. Search the forum, get some basics ideas and then ask about them.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Merilee

The Bayswater section of London is filled with shops, restaurants, and hotels.