First Time to London

Jun 20th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Kaye

First Time to London

Where is the best location to stay in London and do the tourist bit (Tower of London, Westminister Abbey, Buckingham Palace etc. And what hotel would be a good choice - would like large well appointed rooms and baths - not necessarily a large hotel.

Jun 20th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Maxie

New to the forum? Do a search on London hotels and you will come up with tons of info. Recently there were good reviews on the Holiday Inn Mayfair. Price range will be a big factor so narrow your search that way. The London tube is very easy to use so don't worry if everything is not within close walking distance. "Large rooms" may be hard to find... Have a great time.

Jun 20th, 2002, 01:41 PM
xxx

Oh my Gawd, Kaye dear. Do a search! This subject is answered every single day on Fodors. There are Oh Perhaps 350-400 hotels that would meet your requirements (except for the "Large" rooms part)

Do a simple search and get some ideas of the areas, price ranges, and we can help you out.

(pssst - you can stay anywhere in London to get conveniently to the places you list - they have this Tube thing)

Jun 20th, 2002, 02:07 PM
elaine

Hi Kaye
It's hard to make recommendations without knowing what you want to spend per night.

The most popular and central areas to stay in are South Kensington, Bloomsbury, and Victoria. Some people also recommend the Strand, Paddington, and Mayfair; Mayfair is on average more expensive.

In London, "well-appointed" can come at a high price.

A good source of info on London hotels, is www.londontown.com which offers some discounts. In addition to doing a search here on
London hotel, also check the hotel rants and raves section elsewhere on this Fodor's website.

I have a file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Jun 20th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Candacej

My teenage daughters and I stayed at the Thistle in Charing Cross. Found it was so central we could literally walk everywhere. Big rooms(stayed in the newer section), decent breakfast included and every modern amenity. Would do it again.

Jun 21st, 2002, 01:18 PM
Lana

We're looking for someone to share the 2 bdrm 2 bthrm apartment we have booked in London at Canary Wharf for July 18-25. The couple we were travelling with had to cancel. Your cost for the week would be 420GBP. You can check out the accomodation at www.frasersr.com.sg We are a Canadian couple - easy to get along with.

Jun 21st, 2002, 07:31 PM
Crystal_Dalek

Well theres Madame Tussads. BBC. And Somethign else but i forgot its name!