Reload this Page >

Best areas in Central London????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Susan

I am looking for a good, cheap place to stay in the Central London area. I will be going with my mother so I want something decent. I would like to spend only about 30-50 GBP for a room but realize this may be difficult. I am getting overwhelmed by the areas (Victoria, Notting Hill, Kensington, etc) and want to know which area is the best place to stay based on location. I would like to be near Tube station and popular tourist attractions. Hotel, B&Bs, or Apts. but no hostels. Thanks.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:05 PM
janis

I think you are being unrealistic. Afterall, &pound;30 is only about $46 US. In what US city could you find a hotel room for $46?? And even &pound;50 is only about $76. London B&Bs include a full breakfast that alone is worth about $10 or $15 per person. Consider NYC - you are lucky if you find a basic hotel under $150.<BR><BR>In London think more along the lines of &pound;50 - &pound;100. There are many good areas but some of the best with a selection of budget accomodations are Victoria, South Kensington and Bloosbury/Russell Square.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Susan

Thanks for dose of reality, Janis. OK, what could I find in the 50-80 GBP range?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:20 PM
xxx

Do a search on this site for 'London hotels' and several previous discussions should pop up for you.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Lori

We always rent an apartment so I am no hotel expert, but you will have to readjust your thinking price-wise. Many people on this forum have recommended the Travel Inn County Hall. It's right across the Thames from Big Ben and Parliment and near the London Eye. From what I know it's more like a Motel 6/Super8 but decent enough. Central London can take in a large area, no one place is going to be close to everything or convenient to everything however. The tube goes nearly everyplace so that is not a problem.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:49 AM
kate

I can't recommend a specific hotel, but you should investigate the area around Marylebone/Fitzrovia, and also Bloomsbury - and see if you can find a B&B. These are safe, very central areas - and you can walk to many places in central London.<BR><BR>If you're travelling prior to the start of the university year, another option is staying in a university residence. Several years ago I stayed in the women's residence at Imperial College in London - terrific location (S Kensington), locked up tight and safe, very nice, comfortable rooms. The only drawback is that showers (and toilets, I think) are down the hall. Have a look at the listing in a Let's Go guide.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Kris

Try Priceline. I got the 4* Copthorne Tara for $75 per night (probably could have gotten it cheaper) which is very close to the High Street Kensington tube stop. It's a large hotel so I think it comes up quite often on Priceline if you narrow your search to Kensington-Earl's Court-Knightbridge. The rooms were clean and comfortable w/ private bath, hair dryer, no breakfast.<BR><BR>If you use Priceline though you are locked into that hotel and can't change your reservation. It's a bit of a gamble but it worked well for us.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:05 AM
bettyk

Susan, prices vary depending on the time of year you are traveling to London but you can probably get a discounted rate of 70 to 80 pounds for a nice hotel if you are persistent. <BR><BR>Try www.londontown.com and look at their 3* hotels. Sometimes, you can get very good rates. Also, check the websites of the major hotel chains such as Thistle, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, etc., for specials. You can also try emailing or faxing the hotels directly to see if there are any discounts.<BR><BR>Finally, try www.laterooms.com right before your departure to see if rates have come down.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:09 AM
amy

Hi, how about the travel inn that has already been mentioned.<BR><BR>The website is www.travelinn.co.uk <BR><BR>I have stayed in a branch outer london and find them cheap and clean.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:38 AM
jules

Hi Susan<BR>I live in London, and if I had to stay in an area, it would have to be Notting Hill. It is a fantastic neighbourhood in its own right (shops, Portobello mkt, tonnes of restaurants, park) but also very central -- Just 8mins to centre of town, or 15mins by tube to the Museums. <BR>I suggest looking on laterooms.com for some good deals on hotels, as well as most Brits' fave, lastminute.com. Or try Karenbrown.com for their advice on nice B&B's<BR>Have a lovely visit .