First Time London

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 09:53 AM
Bill

First Time London

Considering a vacation to London in early july for 9 days(incl air from N.Y.). Would greatly appreciate imput on hotel/bprefer small/intimate), itinerary, good local restaurants/pubs,day trip excursions.We love history. Also interested in feedback of travellers who have used priceline to book hotel and or air to london(I never have but might consider?)

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:50 AM
ricj

london - excursions - take on of the open double decker buses ( as you're going in July ) it takes you to ALL the major sites in central London and you can hop on anf off where and when you want - it also includes a lot of chat about the history to many buildings site etc. much better tha TUBE train.
hope this is a help

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:56 AM
Leslie

For bed and breakfasts, try the site www.tuckedup.com -- also, there are a lot of very nice bed and breakfasts in the Belgravia district of London, very close to Victoria Coach and Victoria Rail Stations, and within walking distance of Buckingham Palace. Look for the bed and breakfasts on Ebury Street. I stayed at the Ebury House which was reviewed in Frommer's Guide as one of the best.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:58 AM
Anonyimouse

Read each and every post by Ben Haines and feel free to ask him questions. He's my favorite Anglophile.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:56 AM
XxX

But be VERY careful about posting anything that diasgrees with ANYTHING Ben says, because he will bombard you with e-mails to argue about it.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 04:42 AM
elaine

Hi Bill
I hae a file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me.
As a history buff, buy a good general London guidebook (I like Fodor's) and you might also want a more specialized book.I just got back myself from a return visit and I used the book
"London: The City Churches" by Pevener and Bradley to help me do my own walking tour of some of Christopher Wren's churches.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Lola

Regarding 1 day excursions, if you love history, don't miss the Roman Baths in Bath Spa England. Very very fascinating! Don't miss Stonehenge either!!!! Very eerie! Also check out the Cabinet War Rooms, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:28 AM
ron

bill - we just got back from our first trip to london 2 weeks ago. learned so much from fodorites just by searching this board. a couple of tips: yes, ride the Big Bus (or one of its competitors) around the city your first day. then, grab a 'london walks' brochure (or go to their website). first rate, cheap tours with fascinating guides. we did the globe theatre, jack the ripper and a day trip to hampton palace. as for b&b's - there are a bunch on ebury street 5 mins from victoria station. many are reviewed on this board. as for food - we walked/toured 8 hrs a day. when we were hungry, we took a chance. only disappointed once. indian, mediterranean, italian, english and, yes, even mcdonald's (shame on us). there's a giant natural market near the globe theatre open on weekends, too. (sorry, can't remember the name). as for priceline, the b&b's were so reasonably priced, we booked direct. have a great trip.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Lana

We've booked accomodation from July 18-25, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo. The couple we were travelling with had to cancel, so now we're looking for someone to share the space. Your cost 420 pounds for the week. If you're interested you can check it out at frasersr.com.sg , and then get in touch.