Search

first provence trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first provence trip

Greetings
we are planning our first trip to Provence in early June. Interested in St Remy, area. Having difficulty booking studio or apt. as we are not able to do the usual Sat to Sat rent. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance and merry holidays!
Janelle
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:02 PM

Hello Janelle,
First off, are you staying a full week? Depending on when you are going, as peak season isn't so easy.
Have you tried www.vrbo.com website? They have many places listed by country, region, and city. Many owners are flexible, or will give you suggestions. Wish you luck and happy holidays, right back at you!
Cathy
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Yes we sort of painted ourselves into a cornter by planning and reserving our stops prior to France...( we are starting out in Crete for a week, then Italy and ending in Provence) One way to learn I suppose! We are doing a Monday to Monday week so we may have a challenge on our hands but I dont want to give up yet! Thanks for the website but what they offer is either too large (just me and my husband) or very $$$!
Thanks for the ideas and if anyone else out there has suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Janelle
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 03:04 AM

You may want to try this place. It's on the outskirts of StRemy but within walking distance. They have apartments and studios and I believe rent out by the day. We"ve had a couple of pleasant stays here.

http://www.sources-saint-remy.com/english_home.htm
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM

You had better book ASAP. June is a popular month, and many/most/all good places will have been booked by now.

If you can read or speak French a little, try the Gites-de-France site for the Bouche du Rhone dept in Provence-Alps-Cote d'Azur region.

http://www.gites-de-france.com/gites/uk/rural_gites

Places rent Sat to Sat, but even a 5 day rental with 2 days somewhere else (try Kevin's place in the Luberon - http://www.masperreal.com/index.html ) may be less expensive than many 7 day rentals on vrbo.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Arles certainly did not disappoint; St-Rémy did - couldn't tell why it has the reputation it has (compared to many of the other towns)...

BTW, we stayed in 3 gites over 17 days and had no problems with booking 5 or 6 nights without regard to the Sat to Sat issue. We made our arrangements in Feb for a June visit and it does help to communicate in French.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 09:57 AM

I realize now that I conflated another thread ("St Remy or Arles?&quot with this one...
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu and Grimmy
I will check things out. We know litle French so we will continue to press on for the perfect place!
Our visit will be the beginning of June the 2nd thru the 8th.
If anyone else has ideas please pass them along.
Merry holidays to everyone!
Janelle