Reload this Page >

Vacation rental in France: Ardeche/Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:29 AM
ingrid

We're planning a vacation to France for next year (end of June/early July)with my husband and kids (10 and 12) and parents. I've been to the Provence before and am worried about the crowds, thus my question: Is the Ardeche area (Uzes, e.g.) likely to be less crowded and a good base for a family vacation? Or does anybody have any suggestion for a base in Provence (Luberon, or?) We're interested in outdoors activities (hiking, swimming, canoeing, biking) and some sightseeing.<BR>Also, does anybody know any rental for 6 people, preferably with access to a pool? Thanks a lot!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Betty

Hi, Ingrid. You don't say how long a vacation you are planning (maybe you don't know yet), but it would be better if you could make it all in June rather than July. Crowds would be smaller and rental prices lower. <BR><BR>I am not very familiar with the Ardeche but I have read that there are some nice spots there, as well as in the department of Drome. Those departments are to the north of Provence, (Ardeche to the west of the Rhone river, and Drome to the east). Uzes, however is in the Gard department, to the west of Provence (Languedoc region). That area is also very nice and more Provence-like.<BR><BR>If you do want to stay in Provence, June should not be too crowded. I do love the Luberon area and there are lots of possibilities for house rentals there. I have used an agency for rentals there and was pleased with the quality and prices of their houses. You can take a look at www.coquelicot.com. The site is in English and German (the couple who run it are German) and there is a two-week minimum for July and August. If you don't see something you like there, there are lots of other possibilities. If you want to e-mail me (substitute "charter.net" for "home.com" in the above address) I would be happy to suggest a number of other sites for house rentals in Provence. It is good that you are planning well in advance. Good luck and let me know if I can help further.<BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:39 AM
Helen

Hi Ingrid<BR><BR>Have a look at www.1001-villa-holidaylets.com A very nice looking one, is REF 2582 - in the Aude area - just more than an hour to the Spanish border. This one sleeps 6 with pool etc<BR>But I am almost sure you will find something on this website! <BR><BR>Enjoy! Helen

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:44 AM
Helen

Ingrid, me again - with the other nice address: www. frenchconnections.co.uk<BR><BR>Hope this will help!<BR><BR>Kindest regards<BR>Helen

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:39 AM
John

I love the www.cottages4you.co.uk site.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:49 AM
John Burkus

Hi: Last year we stayed in the Ardeche at a B&B called Le Moulinage Chabriol near a palce called Saint Pierreville. This Dutch couple were terrifc hosts. Their place also has a fully furnished gite with, I think three bedrooms. The place is remote but right beside a stream. Very clean and quiet. Lot's of opportunity for hiking. They are also in Karen Brown's Guide. E-mail address I have is:<BR>[email protected]

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:12 PM
ingrid

Thanks for all the info; I'll follow up on it. We're thinking about staying for two weeks, alhtough that's still negotiable (perhaps only for one week). John, could you tell me more about the place you stayed. We don't need nightlife but everybody but me and my mother (who are happy with a good book by the pool) needs "lots of activities" or at least some other kids around. (Last year we travelled to Germany, Switzerland, and Italy, and my kids were serious that there are "only oldl people in Europe", especially in Germany).

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:09 PM
John Burkus

Ingrid: The place we stayed at does not have a lot of action. It is basicly rural and quiet. No pool but the clean stream is where the kids splash. If the family is into fresh air, terrific garden, helpful hosts, hiking, visting artisans, meeting animals and listening to sheep bells and probably horseback riding this would be fine. Small towns with good restaurants and modest grocery stores nearby. E-mail the owners and see what the say. He used to be in marketing so try him for ideas.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:25 AM
Edward

Sources for villa rentals: athomeinfrance.com<BR>justfrance.com<BR>vrbo.com<B R>bowhills.co.uk<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:11 AM
John Burkus

Ingrid:<BR>I notice that the Moulinage has an informative web site at:http://www.chabriol.com/<BR>ps. I don't have a financial interest in it.<BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 10:27 AM
ingrid

Thanks, John.<BR>Does anybody have forst had knowldge of a rental property in Ardeche/Provence that they would recommend?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:31 PM
ingrid

Sorry for the terrible typos. Anyways, can anybody recommend a rental in the Ardeche region or a less crowded region in Provence for next June (2 weeks) that's suitable for a family?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:02 PM
topper

ttt

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:33 AM
Dominic

Ingrid, <BR>from personal experience... got to www.somethingspecial.co.uk and on the "villa search" page ignore all the parameters but enter "Maison de Rocher" for the name of the property (2nd to last box)... hit search and voil&aacute;! An absolute dream of a gite in a lovely little village, totally secluded, private pool, remarkably cut into a cliff face (you go upstairs from the courtyard to the sun terrace and pool) only 5km from Uzes. <BR>I can't recommend this property highly enough. It's typically furnished in that French rustic/spartan style... but very clean and exceptionally well appointed. Because it is carved out of the rock the interior is cool in the heat of the day... plus there's a vaulted area beneath the sun terrace which means you can stay out of the sun and be outdoors.) Well equipped... though we used a match to keep the tv on-button on! But I always appreciate that idiosyncratic French quirkiness.<BR>15 mins to the Pont du Gard, 30 mins Avignon and Nimes, 50 mins Arles etc... close enough to the Gorges de l'Ardeche for a day trip and canoe (I think I responded to you about that particular highlight on another thread).<BR>If you don't think that gite is suitable the company have an awful lot, almost all with pools. Very, very good company to deal with and whom I know I'll be using again in the future. <BR><BR>Hope this helps some... if you want/need any more advice please mail me.<BR><BR>Dominic

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 05:34 PM
ingrid

Thanks, Dominic, it looks very neat. My only concern is that we're 4 adults and 2 kids (10 and 12), so I'm note sur eif we have enough space. But I'll definitely will chekc out their website in more detail. How did you pick this house?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:45 AM
metoo

ttt

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Carol

Hi Ingrid,<BR>Check out www.untours.com . They provide apartments or houses for a two-week stay, plus an orientation and car rental, all for an extremely reasonable price. They call it "independent travel with support." They'll do your air, too, if you wish. We haven't been on their Provence Untour yet, but have traveled with them to Spain (we had a large house with pool there) and to Central Europe, and could not be more pleased.<BR>Have fun,<BR>Carol

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:28 PM
ingrid

Thanks, Carol, I looked it up, but it's abit too small for our purpose this time. Will keep it in mind, though.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:28 AM
ppp

<BR>Hi Ingrid,<BR>There are thousands of places that would fit your requirements, but it does depend on your budget. From a simple comfortable g&icirc;te at $ 300 to a luxury villa with pool at $ 2000 a week. <BR>French school holidays start in July, so July rentals will be a lot more expensive than June.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:13 AM
ingrid

Looks like I have looked at thousands of places Therefore, I'm looking for a personal recommendation of a specific place (budget around 1500 Euros/week) for what looks right now like early July. Probably prefer Ardeche, and area around Mont Ventoux.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -