First Night Barcelona0

Search

First Night Barcelona0

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Night Barcelona0

We are two adults and two teens. We will be arriving in Barcelona by train in the afternoon of 2/28. We have tickets for Sagrada Familia at 4:00. Trying to figure out what it makes sense to do afterwards. Based on the time we would not be able to go to la Pedrera or Casa Mila that day.

It will be getting dark by that time. Should we walk via Passeig De Gracia and see the exteriors of buildings, or take the metro or a taxi towards Barri Gòtic? Walk las Ramblas or avoid it? We thought of having dinner and then possibly taking in a flamenco show at placa reial.

thank you!
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 10:43 AM

Maybe dinner and a bit of a walk/tour combined? I did this on my first day in Barcelona and loved it:
https://foodlovertour.com/barcelona/tapas-lover-tour
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Good suggestion-I'll look into the tour.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 12:04 PM
kja

There is an evening option for Casa Mila (la Pedrera) that I greatly enjoyed.
I also enjoyed dinner and flamenco at the Tablao de Carmen (consider reserving in advance for better seats).
And there's always the Font Magica.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 12:29 PM
kja

OR dinner and flamenco at Tablao Cordobes -- but with this option, definitely reserve in advance AND have dinner. Even with advance reservations, the seats for those who didn't eat dinner there are lousy.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

kja-

do you recommend Tablao de Carmen over Los Tarantos for flamenco? We weren’t sure we would eat because my sister is on a restricted diet due to a medical condition.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Looks like Font Magica is closed for maintenance through 2/28.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 03:03 PM
kja

Originally Posted by or2nh4me2
kja- do you recommend Tablao de Carmen over Los Tarantos for flamenco? We weren’t sure we would eat because my sister is on a restricted diet due to a medical condition.
I didn't try Los Tarantos, and so can't say. But FWIW, when I planned my trip to Barcelona, Fodor's had a poster -- kimhe -- who truly KNEW (and loved) flamenco. He recommended Tablao de Carmen and Tablao Cordobes. I enjoyed the meal at Tablao de Carmen, but have no idea how it would suit anyone with a restricted diet. Good luck with your planning!

And don't worry about missing the Magic Fountain. It was fun, but I've seen better.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja
I didn't try Los Tarantos, and so can't say. But FWIW, when I planned my trip to Barcelona, Fodor's had a poster -- kimhe -- who truly KNEW (and loved) flamenco. He recommended Tablao de Carmen and Tablao Cordobes. I enjoyed the meal at Tablao de Carmen, but have no idea how it would suit anyone with a restricted diet. Good luck with your planning!

And don't worry about missing the Magic Fountain. It was fun, but I've seen better.
Thanks ❤️ I am familiar with Kimhe and trust the suggestions from Fodorites who have been around awhile. I printed out your trip report a few weeks ago for some guidance! (This is my second user name-I’ve been on this board since my first trip to Spain in 2008).
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 06:53 PM
kja

Originally Posted by or2nh4me2
I am familiar with Kimhe and trust the suggestions from Fodorites who have been around awhile. I printed out your trip report a few weeks ago for some guidance!
It's nice to know that people are finding my trip report worth consulting.
kimhe was a tremendous source of invaluable information. I didn't always agree with him, but I miss his insights.