Search

Barcelona Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona Advice

Hello all!

We will be in Barcelona Monday, July 9 (arriving in the evening) to Thursday July 12 (leaving mid-morning). That gives us 3 full days to explore. We are staying in an AirBnB in Placa Real. I'm a bit at a loss of where to start the itinerary planning. We are doing a 17 day Europe trip and although we aren't budget travelers, we are trying to make smart spending choices and get the most bang for our buck.

We really want to see Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, probably Casa Batllo or La Pedrera, and have time to explore other free major sites like La Rambla and the Gothic Quarter. We also think a Flamanco show would be nice. Our anniversary is July 10, so we may do that then. I'm sure many of you who have been to Barcelona had a similar amount of time, so my question is, how could we divide up our 3 days to get the most out of Barcelona? It's a long trip and this is our second city so I imagine we may want some down time.

Also, I've been looking at Sagrada Familia tickets and am undecided between the audio guide tour that includes the towers and the guided tour with no towers. Any suggestions or experience with either of these tickets?

Thank you!
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 12:05 PM

It sounds like you have much of the major items of interest covered. Your stamina may be better than ours, but I'd combine Las Ramblas with the old quarter. Others need to suggest if Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell can be combined timewise. We took a tour of the La Pedrera and spent a lot of time there. Lines for Sagrada were long when we were there. Maybe start with the 1 big Guadi (Sagrada or Parc) each day, then add on based upon how you feel.

Other spots to check out (add on to your day): Palau de la Musica Catalana, Chocolate Museum, and Poble (see Montjuic area)
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 12:19 PM

I agree with TDudette about combining La Ramblas with Gothic quarter. We did Parc Guell and Sagrada Familia on one day. We walked from our accomodation in El Born to Parc Guell, stopping on the way at a cafe for a break. Remember to book tickets for full entry to Parc Guell, we didn’t know about this and only had access to parts of the park. After we finished at the park we had lunch, and then walked to the Sagrada Familia, we had booked tickets to enter at 4pm. We didn’t do a tour so I can’t comment in that. After we finished there we walked back to our accomodation, stopping at a wine bar on the way for another break. It was a longish day and walk, but if your accomodation is closer to Sagrada Familia, or you decide to take public transport it will be easier.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 12:27 PM
kja

I would not have been able to see everything I wanted to see in Barcelona with just 3 days, so I think you are wise to think through your priorities in advance.

If you are willing to pack your days, consider putting Park Guell late in the day, after most things have closed, and opt for an evening visit to La Pedrera.

I thought the audio guide at Sagrada Familia very good; I also thought the guide very good – go with whichever you find most comfortable. For me, the most interesting part of the visit to the tower was seeing some of the architectural detail up close. I thought the views better from Park Guell. If time and money are limited, you might consider skipping a tower visit. JMO.

For flamenco, you might consider Tablao de Carmen; I enjoyed a dinner there, too. I believe seats are assigned in the order in which reservations are made, so consider that as you plan.
https://www.tablaodecarmen.com/es/
I also saw a flamenco performance in Barcelona at Tablao Cordobes, but had NOT dined with them and was disappointed with my seat, as my view of the dancers was largely blocked by others. I couldn’t see feet at all! Seats in the performance venue there are in a different room than the tables for dining; those who have a meal are given the better seats regardless of time of reservation.
http://www.tablaocordobes.es

I don’t see any mention of the magnificent modernisme works by Lluís Domènech i Montaner; I thouth the Palau de la Musica and Hospital de Sant Pau among the most stunning buildings anywhere in the world.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 03:00 PM

Check out www.viator.com. In 20I4 I took a tapas tour through them. It was superb, for the small group met at a bar and went with our wonderful, personable, and knowledgeable guide to about five different places.
Each venue was unique in its own right, and this night I used the adventure for my "dinner" as well as for historical and cultural attributes which were connected.

I might experience again, for I hope to be back in BCN in September for five days prior to my joining a group tour in Venice, Florence, and Rome. I'm getting excited for these adventures.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice! We are staying in a private room at an AirBnB right in Placa Real, which I'm pretty excited about having a local to help out. Also, she has a pet golden retriever. I've been thinking about a general itinerary and here is what I'm thinking: Please tell me if it makes sense.

-Monday, July 9: Arrive at airport around 5:30, find AirBnB in Placa Real, find dinner and spend the evening close.
-Tuesday, July 10 (our wedding anniversary!): 11am free tour of historic city center. It lasts around 3 hours and includes free time for lunch at La Boqueria Go back to our hotel, take a nap, walk around La Rambla, and go to an evening Flamenco and tapas show (probably tablau de carmen)
-Wednesday, July 11: Take another free tour focusing on Gaudi and modernist architecture (ends Sagrada Familia), have lunch near Sagrada Familia, tour La Sagrada Familia, and then head back to Casa Batllo and tour in the early evening. Head back to AirBnB for nap and dinner)
-Thursday, July 12: Head to Parc Guell first thing in the morning and explore. Spend the afternoon at either Montjuic or the beach depending on how exhausted we are after London and Barcelona in a week (is the distance between the Chocolate Museum and the beach walkable).
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 11:58 AM
kja

If you go to the Tablao de Carmen, you might be able to catch the Magic Fountain of Montjuïc (Font màgica de Montjuic) afterwards.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 11:10 AM

Sounds nice, nkm1! Have a great time and please write a trip report.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by nkm1
Thank you for the advice! We are staying in a private room at an AirBnB right in Placa Real, which I'm pretty excited about having a local to help out. Also, she has a pet golden retriever. I've been thinking about a general itinerary and here is what I'm thinking: Please tell me if it makes sense.

-Tuesday, July 10 (our wedding anniversary!): 11am free tour of historic city center. It lasts around 3 hours and includes free time for lunch at La Boqueria Go back to our hotel, take a nap, walk around La Rambla, and go to an evening Flamenco and tapas show (probably tablau de carmen)

The market is very touristy. The general rule is to not eat too close to La Ramblas. You don't need to go too far but I wouldn't eat in the market. Plenty of restaurants offering menu del dia in the city. Usually a great value. But try to get a few hundred metres from the tourist crowds of la Ramblas.

Assuming you won't be going back to Sagrada familia in the short term take the time for the tower. I'm not going to say the view is wonderful but you might regret not spending the relatively short time required.

Placa Reial isn't that far from either the beach or Ramblas. Or the Boqueria. You don't need to make special plans for either.

Flamenco isn't a Barcelona thing. Any places doing shows will be doing it for tourists. If it really matters to go Seville.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 09:20 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
Flamenco isn't a Barcelona thing. Any places doing shows will be doing it for tourists. If it really matters to go Seville.
While that might have been true historically, I don't believe it is currently accurate, or at least not completely so. A Fodorite named kimhe who hasn't posted for a while noted that nowadays, some of the best flamenco performers in Spain regularly visit the venues I mentioned above, and in fact, I went to each on his recommendation. The venue definitely matters, though -- and that's true whether in Barcelona or Sevilla or anywhere else.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 09:24 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
The general rule is to not eat too close to La Ramblas.
Perhaps a good general rule, but not necessarily perfect in application. Can Culleretes, for example, is right on las Ramblas, and IIRC, has been serving excellent meals for longer than any other restaurant in the city. It's another place that kimhe, our "missing" expert, recommended....
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 11:04 PM

Just ensure the accommodation is registered
Tourist accommodation | Barcelona City Council
A poster above also suggested using Viator. In case you do not realise this is a website owned by Trip Advisor and is a portal for reserving tour guides. Just like you are using ABnB for you accommodation. Tour guides in the city of BCN should also be registered. Details here.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 05:38 PM
kja

Originally Posted by kja
Can Culleretes, for example, is right on las Ramblas
Sorry -- it's just steps off las Ramblas.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Is the distance between the Chocolate Museum and Playa Barceloneta walkable?
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 07:57 PM
kja

Have you checked google maps?
Old Mar 29th, 2018, 07:06 AM

if the owner is in the home the rules are different.
Old Mar 29th, 2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ribeirasacra
Just ensure the accommodation is registered
Tourist accommodation Barcelona City Council
A poster above also suggested using Viator. In case you do not realise this is a website owned by Trip Advisor and is a portal for reserving tour guides. Just like you are using ABnB for you accommodation. Tour guides in the city of BCN should also be registered. Details here.
Guides need to be registered to show the insides of certain city monuments and sights. They don't have to be registered to take people into a bar for tapas.
Old Mar 29th, 2018, 09:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's our 2015 Spain report with photos...first five days are in Barcelona. Have a great trip!

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/spain-2015/

Old Mar 29th, 2018, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your OP says you are flying out July 12, but your itinerary says you are spending July 12 in Barcelona.

I would skip the Ramblas, it is a complete tourist trap.

I agree that you should see more of the Modernisme architecture than Gaudi. You should also pre-book all Gaudi sites.

For my most recent visit to Barcelona, start here (links at the top of the page):
https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...s-the-ramblas/
Old Mar 29th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd,

You are right. We are actually leaving July 13 (Friday). My bad. That way we have three full days in Barcelona. I've been looking at pre-booking Gaudi sites, but it looks like I can't book Sagrada Familia yet. How far out can I book?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -