Bullfighting, Flamenco in Andalusia

Old Jan 27th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullfighting, Flamenco in Andalusia

This May my wife and I will be staying in Cordova, Seville, Rhonda, Marbella, and Granada while exploring Andalusia. Which of these towns would be the best place to see a bullfight? A Flamenco show?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 07:28 AM

I recommend Seville for a flamenco show!
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 08:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We saw fantastic on-your-feet-cheering flamenco at El Quinque in Ronda and Arte y Sabores in Cordoba. In Granada we went to one of the Sacromonte gypsy cave shows, Venta El Gallo. It was and fun and better than expectations, based on reviews, but I wouldn't make that a first choice just for flamenco. (Disclaimer: we are tourists with no particular knowledge of the art.)

In Ronda we toured the bullring, which was well worth it, but intentionally avoided going anywhere near an actual bullfight.. They were out of season in any case.
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 08:17 AM
kja

For flamenco, search this board for old posts by kimhe (perhaps using google with the key words "fodors" "flamenco" "kimhe".
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 10:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kja
For flamenco, search this board for old posts by kimhe
Our Cordoba show was recommended by, and had the "kimhe seal of approval". He's disappeared from Fordors but was a great resource for all things Spain. Robert is no longer around either it seems.

Oh, and our Ronda show included singer Sara Holgado who apparently just won in a big international flamenco competition.
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 02:11 PM

Bullfighting and Flamenco

The main bullfighting season in Spain typically begins in February, but there were bullfights today (novilladas) in the Plaza de San Javier (Murcia) and in Ajalvir (Madrid) during La Feria de San Blas. There will also be bullfights in Valdemorillo (Madrid) in early February for the La Feria de San Blas. On February 23 there will be bullfights in Vistalegre (Madrid), and Rejones (bullfighting from horseback) in Arzacq (Pyrénées-Atlantiques) on the 24th. The bullfights (novilladas) in Ciudad Rodrigo (Salamanca) are on Saturday, March 2. Bullfights for the rest of the season have not been announced, but there are bullfights at nearly every festival in Spain.

If you're going to be in Córdoba in early May, then the Patios Festival, "Fiesta de los Patios", takes place during the first week.
Cordoba 24 Patio Fest - Fiesta de los Patios 2019
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 10:44 AM

For flamenco in Sevilla,go to the tiny theater inside the Triana Market (walkable, just across the river) and pick up tickets for a flamenco performance - we went at 11 AM and picked up tickets for the same evening at 6 PM. Intimate, beautiful, 20 or so velvet seats tucked away inside a tiny stall. And the market is a must-see.
In Ronda (we loved Ronda!) go to the Ronda Guitar House near the bullring and pick up tickets for the evening performance. It is more of a demonstration by the owner of the two types of guitar, Spanish and flamenco. He beautifully illustrates the difference. Small venue and lovely owners, and bonus: you can enjoy a glass of local Ronda wine during the concert..
https://casalateatro.com/
https://rondaguitarhouse.com/

PS Our best air bnb EVER was in Ronda. Let me know if you'd like the link.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 11:31 AM

For aficionados of flamenco, I highly recommend the film, CAMARON, on Netflix. This is the story of Camron de la Isla, from outside Cadiz, who transformed the genre in the 60s and 70s. The film is a marvelous portrayal of the subject and his rise from a poor barrio to the heights, with insights into the gitano culture, Spain at this point in its history, and terrific music and singing from Camaron and his long-time partner Paco de Lucia. Incredible voice, never to be forgotten.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
For aficionados of flamenco, I highly recommend the film, CAMARON, on Netflix. This is the story of Camron de la Isla, from outside Cadiz, who transformed the genre in the 60s and 70s. The film is a marvelous portrayal of the subject and his rise from a poor barrio to the heights, with insights into the gitano culture, Spain at this point in its history, and terrific music and singing from Camaron and his long-time partner Paco de Lucia. Incredible voice, never to be forgotten.

Thank you I will check it out!
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Paco de Lucia's piece dedicated to the memory of Camaron:

Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 05:21 PM
kja

@ Fra_Diavolo: What a wonderful piece. Thank you very much for posting the link!
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 05:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
biting tongue over bullfighting
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:16 AM

not biting tongue over bullfighting which is pure animal abuse and torture - sticking those large sticks in the bull - blood coming out - then the final kill and blood gushes from the poor animal's mouth. Bring a picnic and enjoy! That said seeing such a grizzly scene once I guess can be understood - like the one I went to that turned me off so much. Catalonia has banned bull-fighting as has the rest of the bull-fighting world - at least where bulls are put to death.