Search

Another Barcelona itinerary review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Barcelona itinerary review

Hello everyone!
In mid April my husband and I will be going to Barcelona for the first time. A little background on us: we are both in our early 30’s, we are outdoorsy, love food, architecture and history.
I plan on using the T10 tickets for unlicensed transport and walking a lot. We only have 3 nights in Barcelona before picking up a car and heading towards La Rioja.
We arrive (after about 30 hours of travel) at about 8:30am. I figure that the easiest way to get to our hotel (Ibis Styles Centro) will be a taxi. So, my rough itinerary so far is:
Day 1. Taxi to hotel and drop off luggage. I think it’ll be too early to check in. To try to beat the jet lag we will spend as much time outside just walking today. I thought a wander down to the Gothic quarter with stops for coffee and snacks on the way. Then check out Barcelona cathedral and the cloisters with the geese. I think there is a cool mercato around here as well that I’d like to check out. Back to the hotel to check in and clean up. Depending on our stamina either go to Parc de la Ciutadella or walk down Passeig de Gracia. Then find somewhere for an early-ish dinner before crashing.
Day 2. Visit Sagrada Familia (I will prebook). I think we could easily spend about 3 hours here from what I’ve read. I don’t think we will do a tower visit. Then wander towards Sant Pau Hospital stopping for lunch on the wa or afterwards if we have been too quick at SF. Maybe Barceloneta for the afternoon. Definitely Montjuic in the early evening, exploring the castle and perhaps the museum before seeing the magic fountain. Then a later dinner, probably in El Born.
Day 3. Parc Guëll early (prebooked). On to La Rambla. I want to see (and eat things at) La Boqueria. I’d like to go to the Palau de la Musica Catalana at some point as well.
Day 4. Up early to head back to the airport to pick up our car for the next 6 weeks of driving through NE Spain and SW France.
I would really appreciate any feedback you may have on my itinerary. Anything that you think is a must see that I haven’t included. Am I trying to jam too much in, or arranged it too randomly so that we’ll be going backwards and forwards.
Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 09:12 PM
kja

If you are interested in architecture, you might want to visit one or more of Gaudi's casas.

Can one just stop by the Palau de la Musica Catalana these days? When I was there, one needed to have made a plan....
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 11:50 PM

Day 1
On your way to the cathedral and Gothic quarter you can walk down Passeig de Gracia already. This will give you a look at the some of the other Modernisme buildings kja mentioned.
The "mercado" you mentioned could be the Mercat del Born? This has been transformed into a cultural / exihibition space after renovations.
If you look for a stroll after you checked in, I'd rather do the waterfront promenade (passeig maritim) - that part what's near Ciutadella/Vila Olimpica metro station and Barceloneta/ Port Vell. You find many "all day" restaurants on tapas bars there - also near the beach if you want food with a view.
If you don't feel like walking back to the metro, keep in mind that taxis are still very affordable in Barcelona.

Day 2
If you did Barceloneta on day 1, you could devote the PM hours to Montjuic. If you transfer from metro to bus at Pl Espanya you can do a quick look from the observation platform of the former bullfighting arena (now shopping center). I've never been inside the Castle of Montjuic so I wouldn't know if it's "worth" it. The views from there and along the short trail to the mirador del migdia are very nice, though (in case you need more walking). And Montjuic is covered with different parks (for free) and the botanical garden (fee). If you don't want to go to a specific restaurant in El Born after seeing the magic fountain, you also have many options to eat in nearby Poble Sec quarter. The main (mostly pedestrian) artery for restaurants and tapas bars would be Carrer de Blai (veers of Av Parallel, close to Poble Sec metro).

Day 3
The PM and evening hours may be a good time to explore the Gothic quarter - since you want to be at La Boqueria anyway. Personally, I think the Gothic quarter is especially nice after dark when the feeling of walking through a medieval town is a bit more "real" than during bright daylight.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Cowboy 1968, that is very helpful.
I was planning to see La Perdrera and Casa Batllo, just forgot to mention them.
Im feeling pretty overwhelmed looking at restaurants, I just keep finding more and more that sound amazing.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 04:01 PM
kja

The restaurants I most enjoyed in Barcelona:
- Tapeo
- 7 Portes
- Can Culleretes
(Many people recommend Cerveceria Catalana; I was disappointed).
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 04:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"Can one just stop by the Palau de la Musica Catalana these days?"

To see the inside, you need to book a tour...or go to a concert. The tour was well worth it.

Below is the day we visited La Sagrada Familia, Casa Batlló, enjoyed some good tapas at Cerveceria Catalana, stopped in La Boqueria (Mercat de Sant Josep), and took the tour of Palau de la Música Catalana (lots of photos). Great day!!

Chapter Two: Modernist Marvels - Travels With Mai Tai Tom

Old Feb 12th, 2018, 05:19 PM
kja

Originally Posted by maitaitom
To see the inside, you need to book a tour...or go to a concert.)
Is your information current? That's why I asked. I know when I went -- 2015, about the same time you were there -- one couldn't....
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 06:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to their website and it just showed tours.

Tours every 30 minutes
Daily: from 10.00 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.
Easter and July: from 10.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. (Consult dates)
August: from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. (Consult dates)

Other times: consult availability ([email protected])
  • Name:  default.png
Views: 150
Size:  1.9 KB
Languages
Catalan, Spanish, French, Italian and English
Length of tour
55 minutes
Please be on time. After the tour has started no new guests will be allowed to join it.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 07:10 PM
kja

Originally Posted by maitaitom
I went to their website and it just showed tours.
Thanks for checking, maitaitomi! I think it can be important for OPs to know that they need to check for the most recent information.