First Class Train Seats

Search

First Class Train Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Class Train Seats

Has anyone done first class from Prague to Vienna? Doesn't have to that route exactly I guess but I am wondering what configuration the seating is in first class. Standard 3 accros or compartments? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
2 months and 1 day to go.
Rick
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 11:48 AM
MaureenB

In June our family of four had First Class seats for Vienna- Prague and then Prague-Munich. We used the Prague Pass in combination with point-to-point as needed. I think it depends on what train you catch. Our train to Prague was non-stop and the seats were larger and roomier than Second Class, but in a normal configuration of two across. From Prague- Nuremburg, our seats were in a private compartment of six seats. Unfortunately, the other two seats were filled, too, so it felt like close quarters to me. I preferred the more open and roomier set-up. From Nuremberg to Munich, it was a very new train, with open seating, and nicer seats two across (but it allowed Smoking and that wasn't pleasant for us). Try Euraide.com for help purchasing tickets. They charge the face value, plus a S&H fee of $45, I think. They understand how to use the Prague Pass (which only covers from the border in and out of Prague)-- and it will probably save you money.

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:48 AM

It will totally depend on the equipment which is being used on any particular train. The usual 3 and 3 seating in "compartments" for First Class is still very prevalent on these routes.

Don't forget that regardless of whteher or not you reserve seats you can sit anywhere in a "section" if the seats are not reserved..in other words, if you feel too "crowded" as MaureenB evidently did you are free to move to other seats. People do this all the time since the majority of folks who travel do not usually reserve seats and unless the train is VERY crowded, which can happen, there are almost inevitably free seats in less-crowded sections of the train.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 01:26 PM
MaureenB

I guess technically you're right about moving to other seats. We thought about that, but the people in our compartment were very nice, and we would have felt rude to pick up all our luggage and move out. Just our luck we'd sit in someone's seats who would show up and want them! We were traveling with four people, and had way too much luggage. Things you learn as you get more experience traveling, I guess.

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 02:34 PM

Configurations in rail cars are about as varied as in aircraft. If you don't like your reserved seat, move. Sit in any non-reserved seat you like. On one of my trips in Italy my 1st class reserved seat was in a compartment with 5 other passengers. It was cramped and I was sure that they would not appreciate one of my personal habits. I walked to the next car and found it empty so I took a seat and enjoyed my cigar.

First class is normally 3 across whether in open seating or compartments. Second class is 4 across whether in open seating or compartments.

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:16 PM

I took the first class train from Prague to Vienna in May of this year. It is a compartment with seats across from each other.

The whole first class was not crowded at all and individuals or folks travelling together had a compartment to themselves. It migt be different now. In any rate, you could make the seat you are sitting on to form of a semi-bed. It was a very comfortable trip.

One word of caution in general about the Prague-Vienna train: When the train left Prague, the front portion of the train was for Vienna and tail-end portion for Budapest!!! They were actually attached. Somewhere along the way the train stopped and they separated the two. The driver portion(don't know the proper name for it in English) stayed with one and they attached a driver portion to the other one!! You want to be very careful about that and ask a conductor which part is for Vienna before getting on. I almost missed the train!!!