Prague to Budapest Train Classes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In looking at the train from Prague to Budapest, it costs about $50 more for comfort vs. economy. If you've taken this train, can you tell me the differences between the two? I assume leg room (which, of course, would be great!). I've checked web sites and have not found a comparison between the two. Any comments appreciated! Thank you!
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 08:19 AM

Well in general first class cars have 25% fewer seats in the same size train car and thus seats are bigger and IME there are often lots more empty seats to spread out on. Yes lots more leg room especially if the seat next to you is empty.

2nd class typically has three seats in a row - one isolated seat with a window and an aisle and then two seats on the other side of the aisle - this is in open-seating trains - come trains may still have compartments and if so there are usually 6 seats in 1st class vs 8 in 2nd class. But again the differnce IME is that there are usually many more empty seats in 1st class.

That's a long nearly 7-hour trip so I think you may find the extra comfort well worth it.

Check these sites for more info on the difference between 1st and 2nd class - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, PalenQ. Yes, for a 7-hour trip, it seems the add'l cost would be well worth it. Thanks for the info and the websites.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 09:45 AM

When booking you can ask for the so-called isolated seats - one seat in a row - an aisle seat and a window seat all at once - no bothering others to get out or vice versa - if you are traveling with someone else then you can get two of these seats facing each other with a table in between them - and keep in mind you can bring any kind of food or drink on board - or if one person does not like to ride backwards then get two seats in a row of 2 seats facing the front.

a big difference between classes IME are the to me priceless rows with just one seat in them - they do not exist in 2nd class.

When booking ask for the type of seat you want.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Ahhhh! Great information, PalenQ. An aisle and a window would be perfect for the two of us. A table would be a big bonus. Thanks so much!
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM

Go to Youtube and input "Train Prague Budapest" and you'll see what it looks like.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 12:03 PM

http://www.czech-transport.com/index.php?id=402

See what deals you can get on this Czech site.