ferry to santorini

Search

ferry to santorini

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ferry to santorini

We are traveling to Santorini from Athens on Oct 4 and returning to Athens on Oct 6. There are no high speed ferries making the trip according to the schedule on the internet. The ferry trip will take about 7.5 hours.

What accommodation is recommended? There are lounges and cabins.
If we book a cabin, can we still walk around the ship and sit on deck somewhere to watch the view (weather permitting)?

The return trip with the best timing for us is on ANEK LINI F/B IERAPETRAL leaving Thira at 1050 hr, arriving at Piraeus at 1815 hr.
Does anyone know the meaning of the accommodation codes for this line/this ship? For example – ‘A2 Outside’ (@ 75 Euros per person), ‘AH 2 U/D’ (@ 55 Euros per person)? Other codes are ‘AB4 Inside’ and ‘AB2 Inside’.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Have you looked at the fares on Aegean air? The flight is about 45 min. and the discount fare is 48e/pp (if you can get it). Imho, much better than paying 75e for a 7.5 hour ferry ride.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 08:27 AM

I loved the ferries in Greece. But I broke up my trip from Santorini to Athens by staying at other islands so my longest trip was 4 hours. Two 7.5 hour ferry trips two days apart does seem like alot. I would probably fly one way and ferry the other. I don't think you need to book a cabin. Do you need to really sleep? If you book a seat you'd be sure to have an inside place to sit but could then go out and sit on deck whenever you felt like it. We just booked "deck class" for all our ferries and once in a while I went inside and sat in an unoccupied seat for an hour or two. There were plenty of free seats, and that was in July. I would think in October you'd be able to get a seat (even if you didn't book one). But to safe it wouldn't hurt. But I wouldn't waste money on a cabin.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM

I too would recommend flying. Otherwise you will spend the best part of 2 of your allotted 3 days on the ferries and have so little time on Santorini, it's hardly worth the trip. That's assuming you want to spend time seeing Santorini.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Just a slight clarification - the actual flight time from Athens to Santorini is close to 20-25 min so it is really short. And the Saver fare is 33E so it's definitely worth seriously considering.