Air fare suggestions

Search

Air fare suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air fare suggestions

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any alternative suggestions for how to get from NY/Boston to Vienna for less than $700-750? Does it make sense to fly into another country and take the train or does it end up costing the same? I'm looking to take my husband for his birthday in September but the air fare seems high to me.... I welcome your suggestions.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
yk

I would NOT try to fly elsewhere then connect by train/plane to get to Vienna, unless you can't afford the airfare.

I have done what you suggested in the past, and always regretted it. Instead of taking 14-15 hours to get there, you end up spending 24 hours at least; because you want to add in "cushion" time between your flight arrival and the next plane/train you take, in case your arrival flight is delayed. IMHO, the extra time and trouble (getting into/out of airport, into/out of train stations) is not worth the savings.

By the same token, you will need to leave Vienna a day earlier to get back to wherever your city you choose, to fly back home. So, you lose 2 days of time in Vienna at front and back.

I'd rather spend 2 fewer days on vacation, save the hotel money, and spend it on direct flights to Vienna.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:34 PM

In contrast to what yk says (good, sensible stuff for sure), I'd say that it CAN make sense to fly into another country, if:

- you might actually WANT to see that other country too, and:
- it is a significant savings.

For example, if (I doubt it though) you could fly to Prague for a few hundred dollars less than flying directly to Vienna, you could spend a few days in Prague first - and it's an easy train trip to Vienna. At worst, maybe you break even when you add in hotel and tain costs and get to see more for the savings. But if you had to fly into some other city you had no interest in? Maybe not.

In 2005, I did something similar: I wanted to fly into Prague and out of Budapest. It was significantly cheaper to fly round trip to London and fly on easyJet (a budget carrier) directly to/from those two cities. On the way in I had a long enough layover that I could make a connection that same day to Prague. On the way home, I flew from Budapest to London and then stayed a few days in London - and that was GREAT! I wound up not really saving any money - but got two free days in London! And everything worked out well.

In 2007 I was starting my Italy trip in Venice and could have flown into Venice airport but chose to fly into Rome instead - because I could get a direct flight, and I preferred the long train ride to a layover and a second flight.

So for me, I wouldn't say "never" as a rule would I not fly into some other city first - it really depends on the situation and the cost difference. I probably wouldn't do it purely to save money, though.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
yk

I agree, Andrew, it depends on individual situation.

If the OP only has one week and wants to see only Vienna, then flying elsewhere just to save $ doesn't make sense to me, because they will end up with only 5 days for sightseeing in Vienna instead of 7.

A few years ago, that was what we did to save $. We flew into London, and bought a separate ticket from London to Vienna. We saved over $200 per person by doing this. Because I was worried about missing the connections, we overnighted in London on the way over and on the way back. Sure, we did some sightseeing in London (and even went to the opera), but we ended up with just 4 days in Vienna instead of 6 if we had flown into Vienna directly.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM

Do you have FF miles?
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM

And when in Sept? I just looked on Kayak, and there are some fares just under $750 (Air Berlin for example) from JFK.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi
I was thinking of Sept 16-23 +/- but I could push it to the 2nd week of Oct alternatively (Oct 6-13 ish.
I think we are out of FF miles.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Possible options:

1. Be flexible-- MUST it be Sept...? shoulder season start around 2nd week of October when prices typically drop.

2. Get to London, Dublin, Munich, or Frankfurt from USA Northeast (JFK, BOS, EWR, Philly, etc...). Very busy routes which make for regular sales. Once overseas check an intraEurope flight, RyanAir, Vueling, BA, etc...

3. Research respectable Internet consolidators; go-today.com, evacations.com, Gate1.com, even airlines have great packages continental.com, aa.com, etc...

4. Luftahnsa used to have a "clearance" site for last minute deals on flights needing to fill up some seats. Chek them out.

I did a 30-second search and came out with Continental Newark- Vienna connecting in Brussels every Mon-Thu in Sept traveling for $688 all taxes included. Not clear why it took me 30 seconds and you seemed to be struggling....what are we missing?
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:08 AM
ira

Hi cel,

Have you checked www.kayak.com, www.mobissimo.com, www.1800flyeurope.com, www.flycheapabroad.com/default.aspx?

Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Priceline offers a Finnair NYC-Vienna RT for $648 with a layover in Helsinki.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Hi Celeste -

I usually find really good fares on Orbitz.com