Overnight ferry from Athens to Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions about the overnight ferry from Athens to Santorni in mid June. I have read a few posts about flying vs. taking the overnight ferry. It looks like I have lost out on the very inexpensive Aegean tickets for my travel day and I also have to include the cost of the hotel. However, I am most interested in the "experience" of approaching Santorini by ferry. I still remember years later seeing Venice come into view from the water taxi. Plus saving time by traveling overnight.

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has taken a cabin on the overnight ferry. I would not consider taking the ferry and staying on deck all night as we are a family. If I wait too long the next level of Agean tickets will be gone. I am thinking more about having a unique experience rather than just saving time. Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 09:47 AM

I have sailed overnight to Santorini but the ships are no longer operating there. Greek ferries vary greatly in their accommodation so any comments would only be relevant to a specific ship. On my sailings, the arrival at Santorini was very early in the morning (before six) which was not very convenient.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Do you mean for the season or at all? I did notice that on other posts people referred to Hellenic Seaways but when I looked at their site I did not see the Athens to Santorini route. I do see some Blue Star trips but not overnight. I also saw a G.A ferry line but I have not heard of this line.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:33 PM

I meant that the specific ships I used are no longer operating there, so there would be no point in trying to describe them.
GA Ferries does sail from Pireas to Santorini but their web site (www.gaferries.gr) seems to be only in Greek. Greek ferry schedules change frequently and complete summer timetables will not available this far in advance.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Geoff for your reply. All of this was giving me a big headache and I disslike uncertainty. I changed my itinerary slightly to get the 19 Euro fare. It means I get into Santorini at 10pm but at least I will not have to wait a few months and be stuck with a really long day ferry or a prohibitively expensive plane trip.