Athens to Santorini to rhodes to Turkey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts of this route, we plan to fly from Athens to Santorini and then by ferry to Rhodes then to Marmaris. Can you actually fly direct to Santorini or is it via Crete.?<BR>Any help?
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 07:24 AM

Hi, I did had plans for this exact same route last November except in reverse. Here are my thoughts:<BR>Check Olympic routes - They go direct to Santorini and they have good one way fares. I would recommend a flight to Rhodes as well. The ferries are long and unrealiable. Also the air fare is again reasonable so it doesn't make sense to waste the time on the ferry also the routes are not that direct I found. The ferries from Rhodes to Marmaris are good. Make sure that you know the correct time and get there fairly early for customs. We were given 4 different departure times from Marmaris and we still left 10 mins earlier then what we thought it would.<BR>Regards, Canada<BR>
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, anyone else ?
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 09:51 AM

In September 2000, we flew from Athens to Rhodes. We spent a couple of days there, before taking a ferry to Marmaris. That was actually quite easy - we booked the ferry through a local travel agent once we got to Rhodes. They needed our passports and we bought our visas on the ferry itself. We spent a wonderful week along the Turkish Mediterranean coast (definitely a highpoint of the our trip), then we took the ferry back to Rhodes where we caught a flight to Santorini. I don't think there were daily flights from Rhodes to Santorini and it was also quite a late flight. We had a few hours between arriving at Rhodes and our flight - no place to store bags (the left luggage place at the ferry was closed), so we went back to the hotel we had stayed in while in Rhodes and asked if we could store them there for a few hours. We caught our flight to Santorini and then had a few days there. To be honest, I wasn't as impressed by Santorini as I thought I would be - it's beautiful, but I definitely preferred Turkey. We had a few days on Santorini and then took a hydrofoil to Naxos (which I loved) and then flew back to Athens at the end. <BR><BR>I would advise flying to Rhodes from Santorini - it's apparently a very long ferry trip and unless you have a lot of time, it doesn't seem worth it. All our flights were on Olympic. <BR><BR>We had a wonderful trip - enjoy!
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 01:06 PM

If you've never been on a Greek ferry, it is an experience; I'd try it for 1 lap of the trip and then fly the rest. Athens (Piraeus) to Santorini would allow you to see the breathtaking beauty of approaching Sant. by ship.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:52 PM

I did this exact intinerary this past summer. I think I took Olympic both to Santorini and out of Santorini to Rhodes.You do go directly to Sant. and don't go through Crete. I didn't book my Santorini to Rhodes portion until I arrived in Santorini and ended up having to stay an extra couple of days there because there were no ferries and the one flight was booked. They don't have daily flights so I would suggest you book ahead if you are on a tight schedule. I did take a Ferry from Rhodes to Marmaris which I booked when I arrived there. There was a Greek strike (a fairly common thing) so I had to store my bag and wait until there was an evening Turkish ferry and take that over. From there I took Turkish air up to Istanbul and again to Kayseri to see Cappadocia. This was the best part of the trip so if you don't have anything else in Turkey planned except Marmaris, I would highly recommend Cappadocia.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

You have got to love this site !! Anyone else, maybe hotel recommendations ? My wife and I stayed at the Astor in Athens on our honeymoon but that was XX years ago !!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

topping for myself.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Marko, Even though I went to all the places you have in mind my hotel recommendations won't mean much because I just found places when I arrived and didn't agonize over websites for the &quot;best&quot; place the way I usually do on my European trips. I took whatever was reasonably priced and close to the sights. Your best bet is to use the search on this board and plug in each of your locations and you will see all the past posts for hotels in these places.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

The wife and I don't mind doing things on the spur of the moment but when we travel with the kids we have to be organised. So what about family friendly places in Athens,Santorini and Rhodes?
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

self topping...probably a crime now
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:58 PM

Hi there, Just a few thoughts:<BR><BR>1. Definately figure out what you will do with your bags in Rhodes. They will not let you leave them at the airport because of 9/11. We hired a Cabbie from Winnipeg and he kept our bags in the trunk of his car. There are only two places to see - Old town and the other tip (can't remember the name of the town but you can hire donkeys to take you to the top of the fort.<BR>2. Cappadocia is interesting but expensive. Ephesus is the truly remarkable stop.<BR><BR>Regards.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

sorry more topping, just to catch the stragglers
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

last time
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 03:19 PM

hi,<BR><BR>we took the overnight ferry from athens to santorini and flew to rhodes. it was wonderful to arrive by boat in santorini. we had our own stateroom with bath. i will admit that the ship appeared older than i had hoped for. on santorini we stayed at the esperas and they appeared to be family friendly, but if your children are quiet young becareful, because the hotels on the caldera can have dangerously steep slopes with no guard rails. we flew directly to rhodes. in athens we stayed at the hotel hera. it has a great location and roof top terrace with that special acropolis view. have a greaaaaat time.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

thanks mate !!
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

anything else regarding the journey?<BR>Concensus has swung towards using the airplane over the ferry/hydrofoil.<BR>
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 02:57 PM

<BR>We took the overnight ferry from Piraeus (Athens) to Rhodes. Got a bunk bed room. It was an awful trip. Unreliable, like Shultzy said. Took 10 or 12 hours more than scheduled.<BR><BR>In the morning, we left the room to get some breakfast. Came back and a man had just finished cleaning the room! A big nasty guy, said we couldn't use it to take our showers. We did, of course, after he went out of sight. <BR><BR>We walked around inside the fortress in Rhodes and heard a lady offer a dhomatia. It had two beds, a musty smell, but it was pretty good at the cheap price.<BR><BR>Hydrofoil to Marmaris, then pay a cheap taxi fare from the port to town (I think I paid 1 or 2 US$ for the trip). Got dropped right by a bank (w/ATM) in town. I don't remember any problem finding the bus station and heading out to Bodrum.<BR><BR>I'd fly, if I did it again. Get a good view of Santorini from the planes.<BR>
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 01:56 AM

HI TO ALL!!<BR>I live in ISTANBUL,welcome for questions that will be my plasure.Turkiye is the country that I think you will enjoy,every body who was here THey all say oooo It was not like what I expected greatest travel experience,I have many friends from America and they all told to me Eko we did not expect that Turkiye will be this nice,So do not worry even if there is Iraq war now that is very far from us I live in IStanbul and can tell you it is safe do not let your self stoped because what is happining arround Use your change and come here,I live in istanbul at the most oldest and the nicest area where all the tourist visits if you ever come here please do not for got to come to say hi to me for all you travelers for anything you need here or you want to ask about here please let me know for your hotels,hostels,restaurant etc,Thank you and looking to see you here and wishing to make new friends,contact to me from<BR>quastions...Thank you<BR>[email protected] or<BR>www.memorycarpets.com<BR><BR>