Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens-Patmos-Santorini-Athens -- Doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2016, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I want to visit Athens, Patmos, & Santorini and we'll have either 8 or 9 full days in Greece excluding arrival and departure.

Is it reasonable to spend the first day in Athens, fly to either Samos or Kos and take a ferry to Patmos for a few days, back to either Samos or Kos for a flight to Santorini for a couple of days, then ferry from Santorini to Athens for the final day?

Is this sort of itinerary doable and more to the point would it be enjoyable?

Thanks, Jim
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 11:30 PM

First of all, be aware there are no flights from Samos or Kos to Santorini. You will have to fly back to Athens for a connecting flight.

I suppose your plan might be doable if you are prepared to spend most of your time travelling from place to place, but I don't think it would be enjoyable. I know many people visit Patmos because of its associations with St John. If that's what you want to do, consider dropping Santorini and going to Rhodes or another Dodecanese island instead. For such a short trip you should be sticking with one island group instead of both Dodecanese and Cyclades.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 01:56 AM

May be you fly directly to Santorini (plane change at Athens or at another Western European airport), move then by Bluestar ferry (daily) from there to Naxos, sleep at Naxos and continue the next day by Hellenic Seaways ferry (3times weekly) to Patmos.
Altenative: very early morning Bluestar ferry (3times weekly) from Santorini (dp 3am) to Kos ar 8am and then by Dodekanissos Seaways catamaran dp 11.00 (almost daily in high season) to Patmos ar 13.15.
Direct Patmos - Piraeus ferries: Wednesday and Sunday afternoon (Hellenic) and Thursday and Sunday at midnight (Bluestar).
In order to avoid trouble caused by cancelled ferries or strikes, it's better to spend your last days at Athens. So you will be sure not to miss your flight home.
https://hellenicseaways.gr/en/routes/view/51/193
http://www.bluestarferries.gr/en/tra...imetables.html