Reload this Page >

Travelling with soon to be 1 year old from Selcuk Turkey to Santorini

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Experts,
I am super confused on how to get from Selcuk/Pamukkale to Santorini.
This is my itinerary
5/31 Selcuk
6/1 Denzili - Pamukkale
6/2 Kusadasi
6/3 Depart Kusadasi to samos and then Santorini
6/4 Santorini
6/5 Santorini
6/6 Athens
6/7 Athens
6/8 Athens back to Seattle

how long does it take for each ferry I read some over night ferry options are they good?
Please help me figure this part of my travel badly need help
Is this the best option ?

Thanks a lot
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 11:27 AM

You are attempting a very difficult ferry connection. Until mid-June the Samos - Piraeus ferries run about every other day, and stop in the Cyclades only at Syros. The timetables for ferries stopping at Syros in early June haven't all been released yet.

There is a possibility of a direct ferry (Aqua Spirit) from Syros to Santorini, but it only runs twice per week. If that doesn't work out you would have to take a ferry to Mykonos, connecting there with another ferry to Santorini. The ferry from Samos to Syros would probably arrive about 1:30 am, and you would have to wait until late morning for the ferry to Mykonos. Mykonos - Santorini ferries depart mid afternoon.

If it is really important to visit Santorini, consider a flight from Samos to Athens, connecting with a flight to Santorini. That could easily be done in a day.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

o o I was trying to avoid the to and fro from Athens as we will have the little one. Looks like there is no option .
All flights have a long layover in Athens and go to Santorini from there. Are there any baggage Lockers in the airport considering Local flights will have too much luggage restrictions?
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:54 PM

Frankly I think connecting flights via Athens would be a lot easier on the little one than all that ferry travel. if you have too much luggage, Pacific Travel, which is just outside the exit from baggage reclaim, has a luggage storage service: http://www.pacifictravel.gr/baggage.html
The domestic flights have a 20 kg baggage allowance now, so you may not have to worry about that.

Were you considering a flight from a Turkish airport or a flight to Athens from Samos? When you reach Athens Airport you can usually check in for your domestic flight straight away, as both Aegean and Olympic checkin counters are open all day. That way you can drop off your luggage and get your boarding passes before going anywhere else.

If you have a long daytime layover, there are a few things you can do near the airport. Attica Zoo is nearby, and although I have never been there I understand it is very good. Another thing you could do is take a bus or taxi to Rafina, the small port about 30 minutes from the airport, have lunch, and maybe walk down to the little beach near the harbour. If you have to stay in the terminal there are several restaurants and shops in the departure lounge.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 02:32 PM

All that travel for effectively one day in Santorini makes no sense and does the kid no favours.
Bus or fly to Rhodes for a few days(1 hr. ferry crossing from Marmaris,Bodrum or Fethiye) then fly to Athens (an hour) for one or two days and home would be easier....
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

the Only reason I was coming back to Kusadasi was to take the ferry if the option of ferry is not there would be great if I have a flight from Pamukkale to Athens and I can fly from Athens to Santorini (since no direct to Santorini)
Santorini I have almost 3 days
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 11:35 PM

That makes sense to me, especially if your only reason for going to Kusadasi was to take a ferry — you will save a lot of travel time with the flights.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 01:44 AM

You may go by bus from Deneizli - Aydin to Marmaris, by ferry to Rhodos and visit Rhodos instead of Santorini.
You would waste more than a whole day (and 2 nights) with layovers at Kusadasi, Samos and Athens.
And don't forget that there is nothing to do or to see at Kusadasi whereas there is a lot to see at Rhodos.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

great updating Itineary
Date Place Arrival Depart Time Flight/ferry
5/25 Istanbul 4:00 PM
5/26 Istanbul
5/27 Istanbul
5/28 Istanbul
5/29 Denzili- Pamukkale reach night Around eve/night flight
5/30 Denzili
5/31 Selcuk Drive/bus
6/1 Selcuk
6/2 Selcuk
6/3 Izmir -Athens - Santorini Eve
6/4 Santorini
6/5 Santorini
6/6 Santorini Night leave for Athens Last flight from
6/7 Athens
6/8 Athens back to Seattle

12:40 PM so have to leave morning

Flight
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 02:18 PM

Much better, It's an easy bus ride to Selcuk direct which is a really nice and friendly town - and you can allow a day for Ephesus the best ruins to visit in Turkey and a short bus ride away.then about an hour to Izmir and airport...
check Atlasjet, Aegean, Cyprus air etc. for good flight prices often cheaper the earlier you book them
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Tommmo
we are 4 of us and a baby Do you think renting a car is better or take the bus? is it say to find directions and drive in the area? We reach Denzili around 6:30 pm and hoping to catch the sunset that night in pamukkale which do you think is the best and the fastest way to reach Pamukkale ?
we are staying in Melrose Apartment in pamukkale.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Don't know your economical style of travel (or tastes)so hard to say. Can suggest you fly Ist.- Denizli or Ist. Izmir and pick up a car . Driving is good in Turkey. Try www.economycarrentals.com but be aware of drop off fees if not returning car close to pick-up sometimes.. Good roads Pammukale to Selcuk - good busses too, and after Ephesus there are great sites on the way to Kusadasi. The coast down to Bodrum etc. is excellent (check out the Datca peninsular), Lake Bafa, etc and Rhodes is lovely and interesting too. BTW Pamukkale is better by day than sunset.Venus Hotel there is very friendly and nice. Many great little hotels in Selcuk too and generally travel and eating is easy and fun in Turkey.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:53 PM

If your one-year-old is walking, beware in Santorini.
I can't imagine being there with a toddler, but then I'm grandmother age now.