Ferry -- Naples to Palermo

Apr 29th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Ferry -- Naples to Palermo

I apologize if we've covered this ground before, but how do I actually buy the ferry ticket from the US? Thanks in advance!
Apr 29th, 2003, 11:58 AM
GAC

I believe through a travel agent or internet booking service.
Apr 29th, 2003, 12:25 PM
GAC

I assume you want to book a sleeping cabin on this route. Travelers needing maximum flexibility should know that it is possible to purchase tickets as late as the time of departure of the ferry itself. Of course, by that time, cabins should be completely sold out, but there are likely to be available airliner-type reclining seats. The trip lasts 9.5 hours, which is comparable to a transatlantic flight, so a reclining seat is not that bad after all. During peak periods, it is recommended to reserve even the airliner-type seats a couple of days beforehand. The Florio and Rubattino (Tirrenia Line between Naples and Palermo) are large, very modern, and comfortable ships. Full details (plus color photos) in
www.tirrenia.it
Apr 29th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

I'd like to book now as I'd prefer a cabin with bathroom and I'd like the peace of mind of knowing that it's already booked. I don't have a travel agent. Is there a reliable on-line source for booking? Do I still have to show up at the ferry station on the day of the trip to pick up the tickets? I was planning to make it to Naples just 1-2 hours prior to departure (no car).
Apr 29th, 2003, 12:46 PM
GAC

Perhaps a Fodorite who has booked Tirrenia Line lately will respond to your inquiry. With or without tickets in hand, it should be possible to board the ferry 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure if you don't have a vehicle. There are several internet booking sites for this line, although I have not used them. You might try to query them for a quote.
Apr 29th, 2003, 03:10 PM

You can book through Forti Viaggi (www.fortiviaggi.it) which is an agency that handles bookings for Tirrenia. Of course they add a service charge - it was about $12 last year - and they will mail you the tickets.

Or you can call Tirrenia directly at 011-39-081-3172999 to make a reservation and pick up the tickets the day of sailing. Not sure if you could just show up with your confirmation number and pick up the tickets at sailing time. We were in Palermo for a couple of days prior so it wasn't an issue for us. I think many travel agencies in Italy can book for Tirrenia so maybe you could pick up from a city earlier in your trip if necessary.

If your Italian isn't good, Tirrenia did have reservation agents available who spoke some English so you can ask when you call if you decide to book direct.
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:49 PM
GAC

The twin Tirrenia Lines car ferries, Florio and Rubattino, reportedly have a total of 287 cabins, as follows:

2 cabins for handicapped;

77 twin cabins, of which 44 external;

208 quad cabins, of which 71 external

The cabins are located on Decks 7 and 9, with most on Deck 7 (lower than Deck 9).

All cabins have private facilities (toilet, sink, small shower), air conditioning, night table, lighting, and wall to wall carpeting.

There are also 195 first class reclining seats (comparable to business class on transatlantic flights) on Deck 9. There are no "second class" seats.

Most of the ship's public areas (restaurant, cafeteria, cinema, gift shop, public salon) are found on Deck 8.

The ships are 595 feet in length, 88 feet in width, displace 30,800 tons, and can travel at 23 knots. They carry 1378 passengers and 700 vehicles. They've been in service less than 5 years.

The largest and newest ships in the Tirrenia fleet service Sardinia, not Sicily.